I currently have an Orange rockerverb 100 rated at 100 watts (obviously) via 8 or 16 ohms.

I'm searching for a cabinet but looking towards more vintage sounding and price. I like to play loud doomy, stonerish hardcore. Think Black Sabbath meets Black Flag.

I found locally somebody selling a Sunn 4x12 Sceptre cabinet rated at 100 watts and 8 ohms. Every Sunn setup I've heard live I'm very particular of, however I'm not savvy with Sunn's lineup equipment-wise.

So I ask; How would a 100 watt all tube guitar head @8 ohms sound with a 100 watt bass cabinet @8 ohms?

I'm guessing power-wise this should work but how about sound? The cabinet is cheaper than other cabinets I've shown interest in (used Marshalls, etc) so this sounds like a good, convenient deal. I'm just trying to do research and Sunn info is sometimes hard to acquire. Thanks for any info!
The Sceptre was a guitar amp, not bass. If the speakers are in good order it's not a bad deal, speakers wear out over time and can sound weak. I wouldn't expect amazing tone though, most of those cabs were loaded with Sunn labeled speakers and weren't anything special at the time. It's possible that somebody swapped speakers throughout the years, I'd try to get a picture of the speakers and see

EDIT: The Sceptre was also a squeaky clean amp, so I dunno how well a stock cab would work for heavily overdriven tones.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 24, 2013,
Quote by deadsmileyface
nice!

it will probably sound pretty awesome

You or anybody you know every have experience though? Not specifically Sunn or Orange but guitar head on bass cab in general? I know nothing about how much bass cabinets can handle or how they even sound with a guitar setup. I'd imagine it having much more pronounced low ends, which is fine because I don't really solo or anything but how low are we talking?
Quote by Flux'D
The Sceptre was a guitar amp, not bass. If the speakers are in good order it's not a bad deal, speakers wear out over time and can sound weak. I wouldn't expect amazing tone though, most of those cabs were loaded with Sunn labeled speakers and weren't anything special at the time. It's possible that somebody swapped speakers throughout the years, I'd try to get a picture of the speakers and see

EDIT: The Sceptre was also a squeaky clean amp, so I dunno how well a stock cab would work for heavily overdriven tones.

Awesome, I searched for Sunn Sceptre and I could only find forums pertaining to bass specifically. Even somebody selling one in California via bass forum.

Tone-wise I'm pretty easy going. And he specified speakers being in very good condition. Of course if he still has it I'm going to give a really good once over and question him on the history of maintenance if he knows because it is an old amp. Thanks for the responses guys!
It's one of those amps that works better on bass, even though it was meant for guitar. At 60W it lets a bass distort at gigging volume and sounds pretty damn good doing so.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by spiritofjosh
You or anybody you know every have experience though? Not specifically Sunn or Orange but guitar head on bass cab in general? I know nothing about how much bass cabinets can handle or how they even sound with a guitar setup. I'd imagine it having much more pronounced low ends, which is fine because I don't really solo or anything but how low are we talking?

listen to kyuss
banned