i know this is a guitar forum, but i know some people here enjoy electronic music. this is really the only place i'm comfortable enough with to post this.

the structure isn't the best, but right now i'm just more concerned about the mix, programming/automation, and sample/instrument choice. mostly trying to find the feel i want the song to generate. still want to add a bit more layering because it feels very barebones.

overall, it hits about six minutes - still a lot of WIP though. i haven't arranged the climax of the song yet, and when all's said and done the song will probably be about ten minutes.

link: https://carcrashmathematics.bandcamp.com/track/aokigahara-idm-drill-n-bass-wip

please note, my C4C's may take awhile. i'll either get them done before 5 pm CST (it's a bit after midnight atm), or after nine days because i've got to serve the rest of my jail time. but i will get them done.

thanks in advance.
Nice, I got critiqued by felon! ;D

I really like electronic music when it's ambient. But I'm also a firm believer in having some sort of rhythmic guideline involved in ambient music, even if it's really mild. Without it, it kinda makes the song feel like one big noise. I think if you want to leave the first section without any rhythmic patterns or percussion, make it even slower and more subtle, maybe a little bit shorter.

Once the drums come in, the song carries on pretty well until the third section where drums drop out again, and we enter kind of an unexpected rephrasing of everything. It feels unnecessary and isn't familiar enough to feel like a reprise.

Overall it was pretty entertaining though, I liked it and I usually don't like electronic music too much. My only other concern is that the drums and glitches felt a little too dry for such a surreal soundscape. I don't know if just slapping reverb on it would do the trick or not, but they need to resonate more or feel out of place somehow, like interact with the background noise more. Maybe a few times when the drums chop out, do that to the master audio?

That's all I got.
i agree with the dryness of the drums, but i think the main reason isn't the lack of 'verb so much as not really having a sound occupying the bass frequencies. i put a spectrum analyzer on my tracks and noticed that the choral/voice samples don't really have too much below 900Hz. i had a bass guitar .sfz that i was screwing around with, and it really helped with connecting everything a lot better, but i took it out because i hadn't fit it well in the mix yet.

some of the glitch parts do use the master track. i'll screw around with it more and see if i can get things cleaned up. and alot of the drum kit variance is because i used a shitload of samples, and have parallel compression to a hard limiter. i can get different sounds by varying the length of the sample played, so a lot of the sound really isn't strictly automated.

with the intro, i kind of wanted everything to mush together, kind of like a My Bloody Valentine, shoegazing sort of thing. i think some bass there would help fill out and define things a bit better, but i may add some faint drums in the background and drench them with reverb. as far as tempo and length goes, i like that as is... although, not to say i won't play around with that some too.

also agree that the third part and after is bad structurally. feels really rushed. i think if i played with the theme before it a bit more, the flow would be much better. i need to work on not abusing the drop-outs.

think i covered most of your post. thanks for the very detailed critique, this will be really helpful for me. i'm not very experienced with mixing and this will give me some much needed direction.
Loving what's there. Just think it needs more of a pulse. A steadier, funner to listen to pulse.
Quote by Phazon
Loving what's there. Just think it needs more of a pulse. A steadier, funner to listen to pulse.

yeah, it needs more consistency with the beats and whatnot. when i add some bass, i'm also gonna try some sidechaining to the kicks and see if that'll get everything moving more.

pretty much, i'm using ableton so i have a metric assload of clips and parts to sort through. just wanted to get things conceptualized and mixed. that's how i write the majority of my stuff; i'll usually run through parts/themes to see how each one feels, attempt to sift the gold from the shit pile, then iron everything out as best as i can. only thing that's different now is that i'm not using guitar pro

thanks for the crit btw, much appreciated.
Quote by Dregen
i agree with the dryness of the drums, but i think the main reason isn't the lack of 'verb so much as not really having a sound occupying the bass frequencies.

Ahh, that was the other thing. I forgot to mention it. Yeah I think you know what you're doing, just take your time, and don't cut corners and it will sound great.