I'm thinking of getting myself a seven string guitar; been thinking about it for six months or so, and with all the post-Christmas sales on I thought now would be as good a time as any. However I'd love some advice on what to get.

Budget: $500-700 AUD, preferably more towards 500, although I'm hopefully of finding some guitars on sale given the time of year

Preferences: Don't really care about the body much (just not a V-shape). I've got a few Schecters and really like the necks on them, particularly on the Damien-6. Definitely want a fixed bridge, and I'd prefer active pickups (but they're not essential).

New or used: Preferably new, but I'm happy to get used if it's a real bargain.

Style: Metal. I'll probably start off with some songs off Trivium's "Shogun", and go from there. Other bands I'm into are Machine Head, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage and so on. At the moment I play mainly through POD Farm (another thing I need to upgrade) or a Blackstar HT1 with a HT-Metal pedal. I've been playing 6-strings for about 5 years.

Location: Sydney, Australia. Which generally makes for damn high prices.

Any advice and recommendations would be much appreciated. And merry Christmas to you all
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by ambler3
What about one of the new Jacksons? I've been looking at getting myself a JS-22-7/JS32-7Q recently, due to both price and specs. Could get that, then upgrade the pups?

Pups are an awkward size if I'm not mistaken. They'll require routing to put in ANY new pickup.

I think the routes are similar to the Iron Label S series Ibanez guitars. Stupid large and hard to put anything new in. So you'll have to re route the cavity for new pups, and that'll kill the resale value if you **** it up, or if he doesn't like it.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
That's quite the tight budget you got there.
Keep your hands off Jackson guitars at this price range. I'd definitely go for some Schecter with either active EMGs or Seymour Duncans.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.