Hi guys, this might sound like a stupid question... does anybody of you know the difference between hardware used by fender and hardware used by gibson. I mean, the metal itself, how it's treated and covered and so on. I couldn't find anything on the internet.
I'm asking this because I own 2 gibson guitars and a fender (mexican strat), the fender is the oldest of the three.
Now, my hands sweat a lot; the hardware on my gibsons is like completely rusty; i wouldn't say my strat looks new, but sure looks like a 5 years old guitar that was played a lot; tuners are good, the bridge shows a little rust, and so on. Nothing too horrible.
I might be tempted to put new hardware on my gibsons in the future, cos they really look like shit right now (one is a lp custom, it's only 2 years old and looks like 10); if I knew what kind of metal is used for fender hardware, the treatment, or whatever, it would be helpful.
thank you in advance
That could be it... still, my custom has golden hardware, could it be it's gold coloured nickel?
Gold hardware rarely holds up, and doesn't age gracefully. I've yet to find gold hardware that actually stays gold
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Grover locking tuners are the go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flux'D
Gold hardware rarely holds up, and doesn't age gracefully. I've yet to find gold hardware that actually stays gold

I think the way it decays is/looks cool though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X