Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

So I just received a new guitar stand this christmas. It is a hercules stand as shown in the picture below.

As you can see, this stand concentrates most of the stress at the bottom of the headstock. Almost like a wall hanger for a guitar. It holds the guitar almost solely by its headstock and the bottom of the bottom guitar just kind of touches the padded legs (the legs do not really support the guitar whatsoever).

Is it it just me, or do these stand and guitar wall hangers scare the living hell out of anyone else? All the stress in concentrated solely on the headstock, and it is essentially yanking up on the neck of the guitar.

I was thinking about returning it and getting one with support legs such as the one shown below.

I'd feel safer with that because the guitar is being held by two big feet that distributes the load across a wider area, and it is not pulling down on the guitar from the headstock.

Am I crazy for worrying about that? I just dont see how people can hang their guitars from a wall or use the stand in the first picture above and not feel queezy about it. Your entire guitar is being pulled down on by gravity. I worry that that would weaken the strength of the neck joint (given my is a neck through guitar). What are your opinions? Do I have anything to worry about?
nah the one that holds by the headstock is better. from my experience, the 2nd kind of stand you posted has fallen over more than the first. I've come across a really buggered one that falls forwards whenever I put a guitar on it
The Hercules is a better stand. they have the feet that way it takes up less stage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yep ... looks like someone gave you the bad boy !!..... be sure to thank them

clumsy feet can step on the lower supports and make the guitar/stand fall towards the clumsy person , Hercules doesn't have that problem
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Dec 25, 2013,
I don't like guitar stands that hold by the headstock only. I don't think it damages the guitar, so no worries. However, if you are like me and it gives you a heart attack when you see your guitar hanging by its neck, you could get one of these mini stands.

You have to consider the amount of tension that the strings put on the neck, when factoring them in you will see that the weight of the body affects the neck rather little.

The Hercules stands (and hangars) are the better ones, however when it comes to long term storage nothing beats a hard case.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I've had that exact Hercules stand for about 3 years, using it with various guitars. Works just fine. Guitars have hung on walls for decades by their headstock, I don't see that changing anytime soon
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
nah the one that holds by the headstock is better. from my experience, the 2nd kind of stand you posted has fallen over more than the first. I've come across a really buggered one that falls forwards whenever I put a guitar on it

And the bottom support gets lost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by kingneptune117

Am I crazy for worrying about that? I just dont see how people can hang their guitars from a wall or use the stand in the first picture above and not feel queezy about it. Your entire guitar is being pulled down on by gravity. I worry that that would weaken the strength of the neck joint (given my is a neck through guitar). What are your opinions? Do I have anything to worry about?

I'm gonna go with crazy...

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Arby911/pictures/personal/1120345
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 29, 2013,
Quote by Arby911

You need a bigger wall.

And TS- your stand is better by a long margin. Not only will the guitar not fall out t works with all shapes. My V's wings hit the ground with the stand you wanted.

I have 3 hanging from the wall like Arby.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Go into ANY guitar store with more than 3 guitars.
They ALL have their guitars hanging on the wall, not in a floor stand.
With all the tension the strings put on the next, the pressure put on the headstock, is VERY minimal.
You think every guitar dealer is doing it wrong?

Putting all those guitars on floor stands would be like auto dealers putting all their cars on jack stands because it may damage the tires letting the tire support the car.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 25, 2013,
The Hercules is great. I find my other stand, which a floor stand always gets knocked over when I pick the guitar up, as the strap gets caught in the bottom part

And as others have said, it doesn't damage the guitar.
If you ever get a guitar with asymmetrical shape like Explorer or Rhoads or such you will quickly find out that stands which hang them from the headstock is the only way that keeps them safe. So dont worry about it, the headstock will not break from that kind of stress. Hercules makes high quality stands, so go for it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ +1

the far bigger worry is knocking them over.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

the far bigger worry is knocking them over.

yep. i like A-frame stands only. the stands with bars up the back, feel easier to tip.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I can't do these. Stands OR wall hangers.

On stage I've never trusted them (clumsy me, clumsy band members abound).
Around the house, no way. Los Angeles. I have athletic cats, clumsy friends and earthquakes.
I can't take that guy seriously. He takes ten minutes to tell you how you shouldn't use a tele with a Hercules when you could present the problem (headstock too narrow!) and the solution (put a towel over the grabber!) in thirty seconds. This isn't rocket science, I don't get how it warranted ten minutes of unhelpful rambling.
I use wall hangers and don't have any issues.

When I had a floor stand it would fall over at least twice a week.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by jj1565
yep. i like A-frame stands only. the stands with bars up the back, feel easier to tip.
I have moved from A-frame to multis because I use four guitars on stage and the A-frames were taking up too much room.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have moved from A-frame to multis because I use four guitars on stage and the A-frames were taking up too much room.

yep, but I don't have your kind of swagger.
I can only handle one guitar at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Roc8995
I can't take that guy seriously. He takes ten minutes to tell you how you shouldn't use a tele with a Hercules when you could present the problem (headstock too narrow!) and the solution (put a towel over the grabber!) in thirty seconds. This isn't rocket science, I don't get how it warranted ten minutes of unhelpful rambling.

Lol yeah the rambling is pointless(you can fast forward on youtube or rewind), but it shows how it doesn't work well with those type of guitars and people can make up their own choice whether or not to buy it beforehand. I personally wouldn't want to pay $50 for a stand and have to put a towel on it afterwards, but that's just me...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Oh, definitely not, but if you had say a 3-guitar Hercules stand, you don't have to buy a new stand for your telecaster, and that issue isn't exactly unique to the hercules. You just have to be careful in general when getting a stand for a Tele.
tele in a guitar stand.

that's funny.

oh stop.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I use one of these (In the aluminum case): http://store.guitarfetish.com/Black-Tolex-6-Guitar-Folding-Case-DELUXE-version-Folds-to-briefcase-_p_2189.html

I also have several single stands and one of these as well :
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-PLMS5-5-Guitar-Folding-Stand-104983069-i1428224.gc

The single stands pretty much go unused.
Which do you like better, CodeMonk? I didn't know GFS had that style of stand
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
so 2 days later I just realised I have a tele in a hercules stand. admittedly it's a fretking and the headstock is a bit wider than a normal tele one. and it hasn't fallen yet. but yeah on close inspection it's probably smaller than i'd like it to be
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ ive had a couple teles in "off the wall" type wall hangers, for years. those hangers, can actually be pinched a little if needed. (though, i never really found the need)

Also, I don't mind tossing a cloth in there not just to make it more snug, but also to protect the finish from the rubber.
I;ve had guitars that reacted to the rubber before.
That's far more likely than a slip through, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah i mean i've had that one in that stand for months and nothing's happened. but now i've noticed i'll probably swap it, i need to do some stand rearranging anyway when i get round to it

i think hercules are meant not to react with nitro (but all the same i'd probably use cloth just in case if i had a nitro guitar on it )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hurry Dave! it's a ticking time bomb!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^ ive had a couple teles in "off the wall" type wall hangers, for years. those hangers, can actually be pinched a little if needed. (though, i never really found the need)

Also, I don't mind tossing a cloth in there not just to make it more snug, but also to protect the finish from the rubber.
I;ve had guitars that reacted to the rubber before.
That's far more likely than a slip through, imo.

Gibsons and their nitro lacquers... They do suck up rubber stains but Hercules stands SHOULD be nitro finish safe. Keyword should. They have tested this themselves but still warn that its not certain and shit may happen. Buyer beware.

However poly finish is almost like plexiglass layer on your guitar. Its impervous to that kind of stains.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 28, 2013,
Forgot -- one friend of mine has a flip-down guitar hanger bolted to the side of his speaker cabinet. It's out of the way of clumsy band members, takes up little space and can't be forgotten.
Quote by dspellman
Forgot -- one friend of mine has a flip-down guitar hanger bolted to the side of his speaker cabinet. It's out of the way of clumsy band members, takes up little space and can't be forgotten.
I played a gig xmas eve where my amp was jammed in between the rhythm guitarist's rig and a wall. Certainly no room for a guitar - even if I was using only one guitar. Real estate is often at a premium on stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jj1565
hurry Dave! it's a ticking time bomb!

Quote by MaaZeus
Gibsons and their nitro lacquers... They do suck up rubber stains but Hercules stands SHOULD be nitro finish safe. Keyword should. They have tested this themselves but still warn that its not certain and shit may happen. Buyer beware.

However poly finish is almost like plexiglass layer on your guitar. Its impervous to that kind of stains.

yeah i always err on the side of caution. I basically stick cotton hankies to most of my stands.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Flux'D
Which do you like better, CodeMonk? I didn't know GFS had that style of stand

I like the GFS one better.
It packs up tight, plus you can put extra stuff like cables and such in it.
Plus it has snaps/straps on it so you can "lock" each guitar in its slot.

The other one stays at home. Length wise, it takes up more room, but it does fold up for easy storage/transport.

On the subject of Nitro finishes, I picked up a bit of fleece fabric at Walmart and use that to cover the rubber crap. I just wrapped it around where the guitar would make contact and used hot glue to hold it in place.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 30, 2013,
be careful, guitar stands are really easy to a catch on fire. especially if you are a smoker
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I've got a 3 version similar to the proline. I didn't allow for the n+1 rule.

Yes, Jen, the acoustic is on an A-frame.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
be careful, guitar stands are really easy to a catch on fire. especially if you are a smoker

*obligatory generic bugera joke*
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2