Hi,

I want to get an extra guitar for playing some Amon Amarth, which play mostly 2 and a half steps down - BEADGbB.
I was wondering, instead of buying a 6 string and tuning it down to the pits of hell, if I could instead buy a 7 string in standard(which is BEADGbBE) and just use the bottom 6 strings instead?

Will that work?
Last edited by Xioinor at Dec 25, 2013,
Yep, theoretically, most 6 string songs in Drop B/A can be easily translated onto a 7 string.

You jsut have to know how to transpose things if you don't wanna change the tuning. Or get Guitar Pro and transpose the tab within it (TuxGuitar works too)

Unless you don't want the 7th string for anything else, but even then it's really nice to have. I find writing on 7's is easier than writing on 6's
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Alright.

Tho in my example, 2.5 steps down vs 7 string standard, is there any need for transposition?
Just playing the bottom 6 strings works just fine, right?
7 string standard is BEADGBE, but yes, you can definitely just tune one to BEADGbBE. In fact I've written in that tuning. It allows you to use your familiar chord shapes on the lowest 6 strings, instead of the highest 6 strings, effectively giving you an extra high string instead of an extra low string (even though you're still tuned lower, of course.
A 7 string is slightly better suited for low notes than a regular 6 string because it has a thicker and longer neck, so it is bassier and fuller sounding, which you'd want especially if you're playing Amon Amarth type songs.

Another option is getting a baritone 6 string, its normal tuning is BEADGbB, and I believe that's what Amon Amarth actually use.

I'd probably recommend a baritone 6 string, unless you want the wider range of a 7 string.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
I definitely go 7 string, you will have the benefit of a wider range
Depends if you want the wider range or not. If not, don't bother. If so, get one.

Also, Amon Amarth use plain old 24.75" scale Gibson Explorers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 26, 2013,
Quote by Br0c00ler
A 7 string is slightly better suited for low notes than a regular 6 string because it has a thicker and longer neck, so it is bassier and fuller sounding, which you'd want especially if you're playing Amon Amarth type songs.

Another option is getting a baritone 6 string, its normal tuning is BEADGbB, and I believe that's what Amon Amarth actually use.

I'd probably recommend a baritone 6 string, unless you want the wider range of a 7 string.

Its the opposite. Longer the scale length the brighter, twangier the sound on low tunings. Thinner strings even pronounce this. Not all 7 strings are long scale, plenty of 25.5" around, even some 24.75 exist. Amon Amarth uses normal Gibsons in B. Shorter scale and thick strings contribute to getting a fat sound. Nile has Gibsons in Drop A for extreme example.

TS, getting a 7 string and using only 6 strings is just a waste. Because you have one extra string in a way its more challenging too for no reason. Just get a 6 string and slap 13-62 strings on it and call it a day. However if you intent on learning / writing 7 string stuff at some point then thats a different story.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Because you have one extra string in a way its more challenging too for no reason.

It really isn't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It really isn't.

Agreed. I use a 7 string guitar and a 5 string bass, even though I'm only learning 5 or 7 string songs like 10% of the time, and its really not a distraction to me.
Quote by MaaZeus
Its the opposite. Longer the scale length the brighter, twangier the sound on low tunings. Thinner strings even pronounce this. Not all 7 strings are long scale, plenty of 25.5" around, even some 24.75 exist. Amon Amarth uses normal Gibsons in B. Shorter scale and thick strings contribute to getting a fat sound. Nile has Gibsons in Drop A for extreme example.

It's not the opposite, a thicker guitar (every 7 string is thicker than a 6 string) will have a bass-ier fat sound, along with thick strings like you mentioned. The longer scale length does indeed add some twang to it, which you want if you don't want your guitar to feel/sound like a limp noodle. On the Amon Amarth thing, I do stand corrected though.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
The difference is really not that noticeable - I own a 7 string and a 6 string of the same guitar (mahogany body, maple set neck with rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale, EMG 81/85 (or 81-7/707 in the 7), 24 frets). The sound is so close in the same tuning that it's not really worth pointing out.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you don't see a use for the 7th string, don't get a 7-string, in my opinion. If I didn't have a use for it, I'd never play it, probably. It would seem counterproductive to get a seven string guitar to solely play songs on that you could've played just as easily on a six string guitar also.
Quote by I K0nijn I
If you don't see a use for the 7th string, don't get a 7-string, in my opinion. If I didn't have a use for it, I'd never play it, probably. It would seem counterproductive to get a seven string guitar to solely play songs on that you could've played just as easily on a six string guitar also.

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. So I'm just gonna buy a Baritone, as there's really no 7-strings bands im interesting in.