I play though headphones quite a bit. Wife and kids go to bed a couple hours before I do and its really my best time for writing and practicing. I have an acoustic brand practice amp with a headphone output that I use for it and it really doesn't sound that great. My wife just got me some really nice headphones for xmas and now I can hear how bad the amp sounds even more lol.

I'm in the market for a new practice amp, so to be specific, I require:

-A good sounding headphones output.

-Aux line in

-Nothing bigger than 1x12"combo. or could be a head+ 1x12 cab

-Mainly play metal and all it's sub-genres, so some decent chunky gain is also a must.

-something with a direct out for recording would be a nice bonus but not necessary.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.
If you only want it for playing through headphones, I'd say you're better off getting a multi effect unit. Zoom G3/5 or Line 6 M5/9/13 depending on budget would suit you well.

The Zoom also acts as a USB interface for recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Line 6 pod maybe, either used Pod XT or X3 or newer Pod HD. Not an amp but a modeling device with a lot of amps and cabs to choose from and a lot of effects too. Has a headphone output, preamp only output for amplifier use (connected to amps fx return) and you can connect it to your computer for recording purposes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
anyone have any experience with the yamaha thr10x? seems like it would fit the bill?
Last edited by dropb81 at Dec 26, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington
If you only want it for playing through headphones, I'd say you're better off getting a multi effect unit. Zoom G3/5 or Line 6 M5/9/13 depending on budget would suit you well.

The Zoom also acts as a USB interface for recording.

+1
Try a Vox Amplug Metal. They're $30 and work pretty well for headphone practicing and fit in your guitar case. Has an aux line in for mp3 or metronome and works well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Try a Vox Amplug Metal. They're $30 and work pretty well for headphone practicing and fit in your guitar case. Has an aux line in for mp3 or metronome and works well.

I wasn't aware that existed. I'm gonna grab one up tomorrow. thanks