I'm looking for a fuzz pedal for stoner/doom/sludge metal (Sleep, High on Fire, those sorts of sound. I'd like to stay around $100 with shipping, but if it's worth the extra money it's worth the extra money. I'd also like it to have an octave down feature, to add a little bit of thickness to the mix.

I've heard some good and bad things about the MXR Blue Box but I just wanted to see what some other options were. I'll be running the pedal through a Peavey Ultra Plus and a Marshall 1960a cab.

I think that's all the questions I have.. Thank guys.
Hello other Columbus area person!

Fuzz Face is always a solid choice for Stoner. I'm a fan of the Big Muff as well, especially if you can find an old Russian one.

If you wanted to spend a little bit more I can't recommend the Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz enough. It's just a great pedal. I believe Matt Pike uses a Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah Fuzz if you wanted to drop even more.
I'm looking at Craigslist right now and there's a guy in German village selling a ton of Earthquaker fuzz pedals for pretty reasonable prices.

Tone Reaper, Dream Crusher, and Dirt Transmitter would all be up your alley I think.
I'd take a big muff just for the gain; tone knobs always help too. If you can, I'd take either a used mojo hand colossus fuzz or earthquake hoof, since it's got a mid control. Those should be around $100 used. If not, either the Big Muff pi or muff with tone wicker.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Cleveland here,

+1 for Big Muff. The Russian muff has volume issues (at least mine) when used with other pedals but it is a lil nastier/ more aggressive.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Which fuzz face are you guys recommending in particular? There's quite a few of them when I searched them. Same question with the Big Muff; the Russian one and Tone Wicker was pointed out but will they all do a decent job? What exactly does the Tone Wicker do in terms of sound? I noticed though that the Big Muff's don't have an octave feature, either.
I really only suggested the tone wicker since it's a bit smaller and pedal board friendly; Basically the "wicker" switch adds some top end to the tone, while the "tone" switch bypasses the tone knob completely.

Yes, Muffs are good for stoner and sludge cuz of the big grinding sustain and low end.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Black Arts Pharaoh / Blackout Musket / EQD Hoof. Frankly for sludge/doom I've never had better results than with a muff, Blackout is best if you aren't using anything else with it because it has a preamp stage that boosts it and makes it awesome.

But srsly those are the 3 I'd use and I'd save up to get one of them.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Well, the way it's sounding I think I'm going to end up with a Muff. I'm looking at Guitar Center's site and I see this one, this one, and this one.

Is the only difference between the first two the size, and is the germanium muff worth the extra cash? I like the idea of having two forms of distortion, since it'll allow to have more tonal options on tap.

Thanks again for all the help guys
look for an Akai DR3 fuzz. does the big muff thing as well as the more standard 60s style fuzz (not a fuzzface clone for a change to). you can use the boost function that combines the two as well for some serious fuzz damage.
Quote by SMB13
Well, the way it's sounding I think I'm going to end up with a Muff. I'm looking at Guitar Center's site and I see this one, this one, and this one.

Is the only difference between the first two the size, and is the germanium muff worth the extra cash? I like the idea of having two forms of distortion, since it'll allow to have more tonal options on tap.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Every demo I've heard of the Germanium 4 Muff sounds great but I've heard a few people say it's not that good.

The Nano just came out, I don't know anyone who's played it yet.

The regular Big Muff is great though.
EHX have long since been known to not be making the best muffs on the market. Go to PGS, look on there. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but if you pick the right muff it'll be a keeper, if you grab a cheaper option that won't sound as good, you'll inevitably upgrade, IMO.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
EHX have long since been known to not be making the best muffs on the market. Go to PGS, look on there. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but if you pick the right muff it'll be a keeper, if you grab a cheaper option that won't sound as good, you'll inevitably upgrade, IMO.

You'll inevitably upgrade no matter what you get.