So, I just got a crazy nice guitar (at least compared to my hand-me-down Epiphone S-210), and now I need to not break it. I'm already planning on getting a strap lock, but beyond that, I'm ignorant. Could you help answer these questions?

1. Better to stick with a single tuning? Will changing tunings often hurt the guitar? How do the tuning locking mechanism things work?

2. I have it in a nice hard case; do I need to worry about temperature and humidity even in the case? What is the desired humidity and temp?

3. Anything I need to worry about with EMGs? I've never used them before.

4. Can old cables hurt? (Will new ones improve sound quality?)

I believe that's everything. Everything I know to even consider at least. Loving the guitar so far, though it isn't fitted all that well for my half-classical style. Posture, not playing style.

Thanks, and happy holidays!
Changing tunings will generally not hurt the guitar. However, it can be a major PITA, and if the changes are radical enough, your strings won't be up to the task.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It'd be going from D Standard to E standard. That sorta range of change. I'm assuming that should be fine, it's not anything too crazy.
1. No difference. No. Put the string through the hole and tighten the spinny thing at the bottom of locking mechanism, thats it.

2. No. Unless you live in africa you don't need to worry.

3. Nope.

4. No. (No.)
Last edited by Reages at Dec 26, 2013,
changing tunings can cause intonation issues if the neck isn't adjusted. be sure to return tuning to whatever it is set up for (new is usually E standard) when putting it away.

unless you have extremes of temperature in your house shouldn't be a real problem.

chords that are crap produce crap sound but won't hurt the guitar

EMG's have a battery so keep a spare
Unless your a gigging musician then a hard case won't be so necessary, invest in a wall mount or good stand, as the dude above said the temperature changes inside your bedroom won't harm the guitar and finally tunings as you stated from drop D back to E should also be fine.

How long have you been playing for?
Quote by monwobobbo
changing tunings can cause intonation issues if the neck isn't adjusted. be sure to return tuning to whatever it is set up for (new is usually E standard) when putting it away.

unless you have extremes of temperature in your house shouldn't be a real problem.

chords that are crap produce crap sound but won't hurt the guitar

EMG's have a battery so keep a spare

Cord is just a long wire of copper if cord is not literally damaged that it won't make any difference if you are using a usual instrument cable or your gold coated super guitar cable.
Gratz on the new guitar! As mentioned all ready though nothing that you mentioned except extreme temperature changes will affect the guitar. My ec-1000 is a tank and handles the extreme humidity in south FL just fine.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
1. Extreme changes in tuning (those that require a different string gauge) could cause set up troubles but E down to D shouldn't be a problem at all.

2. Keeping it in the case is the safest place (especially if there are small children in the house). If you live in a house with AC and heat the humidity level won't hurt anything. Plus the finish on those is poly I think so it's pretty impervious.

3. Most either love or hate EMGs. I'm sure you'll notice how little hum and background noise they create which is really nice. The only maintenance is the battery which you should only need to change once a year. Maybe every 6 months if you play 8 hours a day every day.

4. Cables of any kind can't hurt the guitar. Just make sure you're plugged in all the way, EMGs use a stereo jack which is quite a bit tighter than a standard jack. Still won't hurt the guitar but you'll get a bunch of nasty static out of the amp if it's halfway in.

Congrats on the guitar! I've considered getting one for a long while.

P.S. We like pictures here at UG, please post some
Last edited by demonhellcat at Dec 26, 2013,
Quote by JakeFrmStatFarm
So, I just got a crazy nice guitar (at least compared to my hand-me-down Epiphone S-210), and now I need to not break it. I'm already planning on getting a strap lock, but beyond that, I'm ignorant. Could you help answer these questions?

1. Better to stick with a single tuning? Will changing tunings often hurt the guitar? How do the tuning locking mechanism things work?

I'd say so. An old of mine friend has this exact guitar and constantly changed tunings, the guitar became unplayable after a few months and needed a truss rod adjustment. I have an ESP Horizon, and I keep it in D Standard constantly because of this.

2. I have it in a nice hard case; do I need to worry about temperature and humidity even in the case? What is the desired humidity and temp?

You won't have any problems, I'm sure.

3. Anything I need to worry about with EMGs? I've never used them before.

EMGs are fantastic pickups, the idea of using battery powered pickups confused me at first, but they are great pickups. I dare say they're the best fit for an LTD, I wouldn't use them in a very expensive guitar as they do take away from the natural tone quite a lot, however, they're a great choice for a less expensive mahogany guitar, I'd say.

4. Can old cables hurt? (Will new ones improve sound quality?)

They won't hurt, but better cables generally produce better sounds.
Everyone else has answered how I would answer, however I don't think anyone else noted how you should leave the guitar unplugged when not in use. Active pickups (like the EMGs in your guitar) only use battery life when a cable in plugged into the output of the guitar. Leaving it plugged in when you're not playing even if your amp is off will drain the battery life.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Everyone else has answered how I would answer, however I don't think anyone else noted how you should leave the guitar unplugged when not in use. Active pickups (like the EMGs in your guitar) only use battery life when a cable in plugged into the output of the guitar. Leaving it plugged in when you're not playing even if your amp is off will drain the battery life.

Good catch! Forgot about that.
Quote by Reages
Cord is just a long wire of copper if cord is not literally damaged that it won't make any difference if you are using a usual instrument cable or your gold coated super guitar cable.

Yes and no. Cheap cables that aren't properly shielded induce a lot of noise and hum into the chain. Good quality cables is vital for getting a good sound. Take one of those short cables you get with Epiphone guitars for example - and compare the noise it will make too even, say a $10 Fender cable. The difference is, literally, like night and day.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Unless your a gigging musician then a hard case won't be so necessary

..unless there are kids (as were mentioned) or pets about.

Plus, if you or those frequently around your guitars have any tendency towards clumsiness, drunkeness, or pissing off your significant other...

Me? I personally have some rare issues with vertigo (due to meds), and my dogs are quite...boisterous. Don't let anyone tell you differently: Border Collies are stone cold killers.

(OK, they do it by tripping you or hitting you high/low, causing you to break your neck as opposed to ripping out your throat, but the threat is still there!)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Congrats, on the new guitar!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3