Hey all,

Looking to get an EQ pedal + noise suppressor at some point also to go inbetween my RG827QMZ and Ironheart Studio.

I would buy GE7 and NS2 but I can't justify £140, so I am probably going to buy a second hand NS2 (£35, cracking) and I want to buy something of that range for a graphic EQ. I'm looking at the GLX/Beta Aivin/Harley Benton as it has exactly the same sliders/range as the GE7, and its £30 ish, do we have any other contenders?

Cheers and happy xmas/boxing day!
Get a use MXR Smart Gate and a used EQ. The Boss EQ should be fine.

I would only get the NS-2 if you need the gate in front of your amp and in the loop, MXR smart gate if you only need it in front of the amp or only in the loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The JOYO 6 bands is pretty neat for the price, too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
dano
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
dano

Yanno to go Danno
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Boss GE-7, used. I'd take a used smart gate too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a use MXR Smart Gate and a used EQ. The Boss EQ should be fine.

I would only get the NS-2 if you need the gate in front of your amp and in the loop, MXR smart gate if you only need it in front of the amp or only in the loop

Hey bud, can the Send and Return thing allow the NS2 to be used infront of an amp AND in the loop at the same time?! madness
Quote by AngryIndianDude
Hey bud, can the Send and Return thing allow the NS2 to be used infront of an amp AND in the loop at the same time?! madness

Yes as long as the amp has an FX loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yup amp has an FX loop - thanks very much, going to try and by a used one. Dano specs are great but it just looks so ugly! I prefer boss-looking pedals!
Boss EQ´s are the standard.....like all boss pedals you might as well get it used cause they´re built like bricks. Just remember not to use anything else but the boss adapters if your not into 9 volts cause they Buzz like a m-f´r otherwise
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Be aware that there are two Boss EQ pedals -- the GEB-7 and the GE7. Ostensibly, the GE7 is for guitar, the "B" model for bass, but it's helpful to notice what the difference really is. The GEB7 has a wider range, both up *and* down, and the bands are spaced further apart. I've actually found the GEB7 a better EQ pedal for a lot of purposes than the GE7.
I've owned 2 Boss GE-7s in the past (Japanese and Taiwanese) and I own the Fish & Chips now. The Danelectro is just a way, way better value. No, it won't survive a heat of the moment curb stomp, but it's 1/3 of the price new, and it's actually a quieter unit, somehow.

The Joyo EQ is an MXR 6 Band clone, and both pedals are useless. The level slider is a very key feature to have. Incredibly useful for taming your master volume, boosting your volume in the loop or pushing your preamp in front. Incredible tool to have on your board.

So I say Fish & Chips, or if you want to spend more (which you don't), MXR 10 Band. Or if you're adventurous and into pedulz, then the Source Audio SA170.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

The Joyo EQ is an MXR 6 Band clone, and both pedals are useless. The level slider is a very key feature to have. Incredibly useful for taming your master volume, boosting your volume in the loop or pushing your preamp in front. Incredible tool to have on your board.

I have MXR 6 band EQ and I don't agree with you. Yes it would be better if it had level control, but I find it very useful for shaping the sound even without it.
Quote by JackovSlayer
I have MXR 6 band EQ and I don't agree with you. Yes it would be better if it had level control, but I find it very useful for shaping the sound even without it.

I say useless in the sense that there are better alternatives for cheaper (Danelectro). Not that it actually does nothing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JackovSlayer
In a live situation having no volume knob is a deal breaker. You don't have time to carefully adjust every slider between songs, you just look incompetent because everyone has to wait for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JackovSlayer

The mxr 6 band works perfect for tone shaping.
Quote by mmjohn
The mxr 6 band works perfect for tone shaping.
This is true but you don't want to have to disturb the curve every time you want to vary the degree of boost. The 6 band is fine if you are just playing with yourself but they aren't gig friendly.

There is one drawback of the Dano F&C for live use I feel I should mention. The layout makes it very easy to accidentally hit the sliders with your hoof. They work well and sound good but the ergonomics is a nightmare. I've been using one lately gigging and I often bump the sliders with my foot. I do gig a lot and it doesn't happen all the time but when it does happen it can be a real pita.

The Boss one is far better ergonomically but they are noisy piles of shit. The MXR is between the Boss and the Dano in terms of ergonomics. The button sticks up far enough that you don't knock the sliders as easily as the Dano but nothing beats Boss for ergonomics.
On balance the MXR 10 band clearly stands out from the pack. It's only real drawback is that it is 18V so it needs its own supply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 2, 2014,
spend $30 on a dano on the cheap, you get what you pay for, thery aren't known to be the best in terms of relability (they are plastic), but they will do the job.

MXR 10 bands are studio standard unless you are going into a rack EQ, then you play the rack game which i don't know much about.

but if you were to take a census of touring bands with EQ'S i would bet that there would be MXR's on their board.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

On balance the MXR 10 band clearly stands out from the pack. It's only real drawback is that it is 18V so it needs its own supply.

i never liked doing thins, but took two leads soldered into a single to power it, but it leaves the power supply one less pedal.

but less shit to bring, and usually i could omit something that i don't use much anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I agree with what Offworld and Cathbard have been saying. If you're getting an EQ pedal, get one with a level slider. It's too useful to do without.

I have a GE-7 and it's indeed a very noisy piece of gear, especially when used as a solo boost. There are ways to get around it somewhat. In the loop, I try and leave all the levels flat when increasing my volume and even cut some of the highs. Seems to remove the noise a bit when adding overall volume.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i never liked doing thins, but took two leads soldered into a single to power it, but it leaves the power supply one less pedal.

but less shit to bring, and usually i could omit something that i don't use much anyways.

I build my own supplies so adding an 18V output wouldn't be such a big deal really. It could be a pita otherwise though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I build my own supplies so adding an 18V output wouldn't be such a big deal really. It could be a pita otherwise though.

just run two of the outs (at 9V) soldered the other lead over to make it 18V worked great for a long time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you don't need a level slider (and I don't really think they are essential, but they are useful), than get the harley benton (which is a rebranded joyo) else get the dano.

I use my eq as an 'always on' pedal with my amps od channel, so a level slider isn't necessary. Your needs may differ though.

I wouldn't recommend the boss eq. It's way overpriced and just not that great. If you are seriously looking at that over the cheaper options, I'd save the little bit extra and grab a mxr 10 band.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by mulefish

I use my eq as an 'always on' pedal with my amps od channel, so a level slider isn't necessary. Your needs may differ though.

I use it as always on pedal too, so yeah level slider isn't important to me either.