Poll: MG15CFX or Roland cube-20GX?
Poll Options
View poll results: MG15CFX or Roland cube-20GX?
MC15CFX
1 13%
Cube-20GX
7 88%
Voters: 8.
For Christmas my Dad said that'd he buy me a new guitar amp, but as he knows nothing about it he asked me to decide which one. I have decided on either the Roland CUBE-20GX (http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Roland-CUBE-20GX-Guitar-Amplifier/TXN) or the Marshall MG15CFX (http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Marshall-MG15CFX-Carbon-Fibre-15W-Footswitchable-Guitar-Combo/HGF), but I can't decide between the two.
It'll mainly be used for practice at home but might also be used for band practice, I mostly play rock type songs (AC/DC, some Metallica, Bullet for my Valentine, Three days grace etc...) and I also plan on getting a foot controller for either of the amps. The MG15CFX has more programmable channels to switch between, but the Cube apparently has better Crunch/distortion.
What are other peoples opinions on these two amps? Which of them would you get?
Last edited by kjth at Dec 26, 2013,
If it's got to be one of the two, the cube. As its not your money, we respect your dad's given you a certain budget, but I'd highly recommend a Peavey Vypyr. One of the old series, you might be able to get it as New Old Stock in a shop, or will have to get it used.

The old series Vypyr are a bit better than the new series, but if you play or plan to play bass and/or acoustic as well, the new VIP series might be useful.

I'm just trying to get you away from the MG really, you'll hate it after a few months. The Cube and more-so the Vypyr will be enjoyed for much longer.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Yeah, between the two the Cube would definitely be better, but a Vypyr would be even better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I did look at the vypyr VIP 1 (http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-Vypyr-VIP-1-Modelling-Combo-Amp/PR1), but I read some reviews that say it can be quite complicated to work. I did also look at a Line 6 spider IV, but everyone says that their sound is quite poor. And with the Vypyr I don't plan on playing anything other than electric so the VIP function is a bit useless to me.
Yeah the Spider And MG are the ones you wanna stay away from.

What exactly is the budget your dad is allowing you? Could you stretch to this: http://fuzzguitars.co.uk/shop/peavey-vypyrtm-30-guitar-amp-combo.html?gclid=CNXM1NiizrsCFUzHtAodvmAAfQ

PS: I know this isn't Gear4music, but it's still a reputable seller that won't rip you off. It's just a shop in Nottingham by the looks of it and this is what I was talking about by "New Old Stock".
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Dec 26, 2013,
Budget is about £150. Why are you against the MG's? This video seems to make them look quite good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

P.S: I don't mind it not being gear4music, I was just using them as a link to the amps, I may not actually buy them from there :P.
MG's are one of those things where you love it for the first couple of weeks, but after a few months you lose the desire to play because you start to realise how bad your tone is.

The Vypyr will last you a lot longer before you start to realise what's out there, and how bad of an amp you could of got with the Spider or MG.

All in all, just trying to save you money in the long term as half way through 2014 you'll be hating the MG and wanting a new amp.
Personal experience from myself prefers the Cube series to the Valvetronix.
Quote by Lavatain
Personal experience from myself prefers the Cube series to the Valvetronix.

So in your experience you would go: VIP 1 > Cube 20 GX> VT20+ > MG15FX?
I would hazard a guess at the Cube being better than the VIP. But the old Vypyr series (either 15 or 30 watt) will be better than all the others.
Click on the link he sent you, I forgot to put that somewhere. It's to help us with information on what exactly you need out of an amp to help you with the best suggestion.
I've said most of the stuff in the "What Gear threads" section
Budget: around £150
Genres: I mostly play rock type songs (AC/DC, some Metallica, Bullet for my Valentine, Three days grace etc...)
New or used: Either (didn't specify originally)
Closest City: Either Stratford-upon-Avon, or Cardiff (university term time)
Current Gear: Roland Micro cube, Fender Squire Stratocaster
The Valvetronix is great but not for metal. Vyper is your best bet for metal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Definitely the older Vypyr. Vypyr 30 used or 15 new. Preferably the 30 as it has as 12" speaker which is more suited to guitar sounds than the 10".