I finally found and bought the best distortion box ever… ROSS, vintage 1979, made in Chanute, Kansas, USA. I like this one a little better than the original Ibanez TS 808, but it's a close 2nd. Most distortion boxes change the sound of your guitar and amp, while this pedal just gives you sustain and overdrive, without that gritty, grinding, treble-ey, distorted sound of most boxes. Thoughts and opinions?
Attachments:
RossDistortion1sm.jpg
If it's worth doing, then it's worth over doing. -Mick Jagger
I've never heard of it. I just watched a video and it sounds pretty cool. A lot like my Fulltone Full-Drive 2, but that's an OD and not a Distortion. I'm currently running the Full-Drive 2 and a Fulltone OCD for distortion and I'd like to maybe get a whole new distortion for a better range of tones. I get a good sound out of the OCD, but I'm more into blues and acid rock type stuff and the OCD does more modern stuff (although it does handle leads quite nicely when run at the same time as the Full-Drive). I wish I would have seen this before I blew my Christmas money...
Last edited by mjones1992 at Dec 26, 2013,
isn't that basically just a distortion +?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I used to have a Ross Distortion and Phaser in one unit. Whole thing sounded great, but it was kind of inconvenient what with the size and the AC cord to power it.

I've been looking for just a Ross Distortion by itself but they are pretty damn expensive online.

Wouldn't say it's the best distortion box ever but it's a relatively unknown gem that you can occasionally find for nothing because the person who has it doesn't know what they have.

^it's very similar to a 70s Distortion + but it's a bit louder and has a bit more high end.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Dec 26, 2013,