Right, so im beggining to set up a home studio. I have my mac, and i now have an interface (focusrite liquid saffire 56) and the next couple of things in my list are microphones and maybe looking at different daw's (currently use reaper).

As this will be my only mic to mention so i will be needing a good all rounder. My Budget is £250 and i am currently looking at the AKG C214.

I am willing to look new or used for the mic but id prefer new as im not a fan of other people that i dont know mouths over a mic im gonna be using!

I will be recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitars with this mic. I will be looking to buy a drum mic kit and some sm57's later on. But for now i need a do it all to a half decent level mic!

Am i along the right lines with the C214? i have been looking at the blue baby bottle also but some negative reviews have put me off.
Personally, I'd think about what you're wanting to do more specifically with this mic. The AKG is an okay mic, but if you're planning on micing a guitar cab with it, it'll be a hit or miss whether you'll like it or not. I've still yet to find a condenser mic that I enjoy on a guitar cab more than an SM57.

In your situation, I'd either go with something like a CAD E100S (Zzounds has a "blemish" version, which includes the full warranty for the same price as the AKG), which I like far more on a wide variety of things, or I'd buy a cheaper condenser (used AT4040 or a new MXL V67G) and an SM57.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think the C214 is an excellent choice! However with guitar amps MC is right, it might not sound quite right. You'll certainly get a decent tone out of it but it's more normal to use a dynamic.

I'd say start with the 214 and when you have a bit more money get a 57 as well (or if you can save more a sennheiser MD421, those things are great!)
Let me provide you with an analogy:

Quote by billabob
Right, so im beggining to set up a workshop. I have my drill press, and i now have a nice collection of screwdrivers. The next couple of things in my list are saws and maybe looking at different wrenches.

As this will be my only saw to mention so i will be needing a good all rounder. My Budget is £250 and i am currently looking at a table saw.

I will be sawing shelves, table legs and dovetails for drawers with this saw. I will be looking to buy various blades and a scroll saw later on. But for now i need a do it all to a half decent level saw!

Am i along the right lines with the table saw? i have been looking at the band saw also but some negative reviews have put me off.

In short... different tools for different jobs.

Buy a table saw now, but don't expect it to be usable on every project. Expect to buy more saws as you discover more specific needs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ok, i know that no one mic will be good for everything. And i had mentioned that i will be getting an sm57 and drum mics when i can afford. I just wanted a good mic to do my vox and acoustic guitar with abit of everything else thrown in untill i can afford them.

I think if theres no better mic in the price range ill go for the c214 and then invest in some other mics!
Another option - check out the GLS ES-57. You can get them for $30 on Amazon and I actually prefer them on some things over the Shure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So i decided to go get one! Not had a chance to use it yet so any pointers will be appreciated!