BACKGROUND: I recorded a song and felt the low end was missing, so I re recorded it after doing some vocal warmups, getting a new mic, adding bass guitar - eq'ing it etc etc - and the first version, turns out to be the one I prefer.

Thoughts on whats better?

Demo 1

https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-demo

Demo 2

https://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/live-through-my-dreams-2nd
First one sounds clearer, but you also seem to have the voice coming out one side and the guitar out the other, which the second version has both straight up the middle. Personally, I think the brighter sound fits this a little better, since your voice seems to be in a similar range as the fuller guitar in the second. Try recording two tracks of guitar and put one left, one right, then put your vocals up the center. Unless you're specifically using the bass guitar for a melody, I don't think it's really needed here
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
First one sounds clearer, but you also seem to have the voice coming out one side and the guitar out the other, which the second version has both straight up the middle. Personally, I think the brighter sound fits this a little better, since your voice seems to be in a similar range as the fuller guitar in the second. Try recording two tracks of guitar and put one left, one right, then put your vocals up the center. Unless you're specifically using the bass guitar for a melody, I don't think it's really needed here

Yeah on the first one the guitar and the voice is either side, pointing to 11 and 1 o clock respectively.

The 2nd version is the same but not so wide a divide, hence the clutter I guess.

So basically double track gtr, hard L and R and then vox down middle? The only reason I re-done it was for some more bottom end, but tbh I think the bass makes it sound worse - loses clarity.

EDIT: Hmmm, I'm very aware the guitar is doubled. I want it live, intimate but w more bass - I feel the double tracking sort of cheapens it.

DOUBLE EDIT: THIS SONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexNsBjz1r8 - not the actual song, but I'm confident that it's just voice and guitar and it doesn't lack low end - how would I capture a similar vein? (stick to the first verse, I know stuff comes in later)
Last edited by rocknrollstar at Dec 26, 2013,
You ever thought it may be the playing or guitar setup? Something about the way the low strings are struck that gives it that warm sound. Where as you're kinda strumming along; which doesn't usually lend itself to a deeper sound anyways.
I think there are a couple of things at work here, and Phazon has pretty much gotten it, I think.

(context: the second link is not working, but the first is, and the Leonard Cohen video is working)

Arrangement: A straight-up strumming pattern and how you're strumming is really accentuating the top strings. Compare that to the Leonard Cohen song, the guitar is finger picked and the dynamics are really controlled. The player is attacking the bass strings with the flesh of his thumb, which really subdues the attack of the strings.

Equipment: Obviously, Leonard Cohen is going to have access to better gear than you or I, but that doesn't prevent us from getting pretty close often times. Does your guitar sound like that in the room? Some guitars have a very deep resonance, while others just sound more trebly. Also, what mic are you using? I'm thinking it sounds like a dynamic mic due to the compressed kind of nature to the sound. (or did you compress it in the mix?)

Method: This could also really be the meat and potatoes of the difference here. Where are you putting the mic?
- how far away?
- pointed where on the guitar?
- what kind of angle?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.