When exactly would you need a DI box? I have a Presonus firepod with two instrument inputs, would having a DI box still help me get a cleaner signal? Or do the instruments inputs do the same thing?

Thanks in Advance guys!
(signature removed, please choose another)
You don't need a DI box.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It will likely give you a slight increase, but nothing to be bothered over. It's always cracked me up when people get obsessed over certain DIs. The purpose of a DI is to accurately represent the tone coming directly out of an instrument, it makes no sense to say that one DI sounds better than another, unless it just has a wider frequency response.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, thats what i figured with the instrument inputs. Was just wondering what others thought.
(signature removed, please choose another)
A DI is really handy for longer cable runs. One of the purposes of a DI is to take an unbalanced signal and convert it to balanced, so it can be sent longer distances without worrying about capacitance degrading the signal and rolling off the highs. DIs are typically used for keyboard, bass and microphones.

For your application, just plug straight into the interface.
Other uses for a DI box are:

1. Connecting a bass, keyboard, etc. to a mixing console or interface for recording where the input is an XLR.

2. Splitting off a signal. For instance: Guitar to DI box. DI box 1/4" out to amp for miking or hearing the sound live in the room. DI box XLR out to recorder to record a direct, dry signal to be used for re-amping later.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.