I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but what stuff do I play in front of people? I've been playing for about 1 1/2 years and I usually just learn parts of songs, not whole songs. And I don't really practice riffs over and over until its perfect, I just move onto the next thing. When im by myself I just try to play parts of songs I played or make up stuff that sounds cool or run down scales or whatever. But when I try to play in front of people, I have no idea what to play or do.

What do people normally do? Learn songs and keep practicing them until theyre perfect or what? This is difficult for me because most of the time I try to challenge myself with stuff that I can't really play up to speed yet.

I don't know. How do you guys practice and get "tightness" while playing opposed to looseness and what is typical when you play in front of people (not a gig setting)
I write my own music.

Find out what the chicks like in your area and play that, just be comfortable in what your playing. Learning whole songs is a great idea.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you just want to impress your friends than learn as many popular riffs/licks as you can. If you are serious about playing before other people, you'd better start learning whole songs by heart, it's extremely beneficial. And practice technique. And improvisation helps, too