Hello

This song called anguish and fear builds up on a very fast riff which i cant seem to get it is the intro i tried alternate picking but it just sounds messy. Please help me out with this one?
Practice what else.. If it sounds messy then slow down until it's clean, then speed up in increments.
It's almost certainly alternate picking, or really close to it, the point is he's just much better at it than you are.

He's using smaller movements and is more relaxed than you and has practiced infinitely more hours than you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ok. Yeah haha im reading his biograpgy book right now. He used to practice like in when he was in school too brough the guitar everywhere. Practiced like 12 hours everday. I cant really do that hehe because im working. But i heard he uses economy picking to play faster riffs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's almost certainly alternate picking, or really close to it, the point is he's just much better at it than you are.

He's using smaller movements and is more relaxed than you and has practiced infinitely more hours than you.

Malmsteen uses economy picking .
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Malmsteen uses economy picking .

Either way my point stands.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Practice and Ovaltine.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Dreamdancer11
The second part of it yes...

The picking approach itself wasn't really the point to begin with.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
the point is he's just much better at it than you are.

Pretty much this lol. You don't even need to watch the video to answer this question. It's Yngwie Malmsteen dude. I'm gonna assume you're a beginner having asked a question like that, and you have to realize that Yngwie has practiced the guitar more than 100 times longer than you. I actually think of all the virtuoso's however that Yngwie is one of the sloppiest of them all.

Andy James is better... i have a hard on for Andy James
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 27, 2013,
Quote by wafflesyrup
The picking approach itself wasn't really the point to begin with.

He said its almost certainly alternate picking....which is basically false information to the thread starter...its almost certainly isnt.YJM sweeps when changing strings and that, along with the relaxed hand and small picking motions is one of the reasons he sounds so smooth and effortless.
People get way too precious over the alternate picking/economy picking distinction.

Let's face it, they're the same thing, just slightly different implementations. Economy picking is just a variation on alternate picking where you arrange things so you can carry pickstrokes accross to the next string - you're still spending most of your time going up and down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
"I'm great at economy picking but my alternate picking sucks, but I never use it, so it doesn't matter" - said no one ever.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
"I'm great at economy picking but my alternate picking sucks, but I never use it, so it doesn't matter" - said no one ever.

What does that has to do with anything i wonder .....
Besides the obvious painstaking hours of practice, the way our favourite Swedish meatball sets up his guitar also has a massive impact.

Yngwie uses super light strings - sometimes gauge 9s but also frequently gauge 8s, with his guitar tuned down a step. On top of this he uses pretty thick picks - 1.5mm's if I'm not mistaken. The result of this means he can pick super lightly and still get a lot of sound out of his strings - he has no need to 'dig in'. This also helps him pull of that ridiculous 'shriek' vibrato that he loves so much :P

Also his frets - he uses a scalloped fretboard, which means he can fret VERY lightly - too much squeezing down and the notes go a touch out of tune.

As far as picking goes, as well as economy picking, it's really important to make sure you're picking lightly (high gain/bridge pickup = no real need to whack the strings!) and that the volume of your picking is very small - practice it so that your pick stays as close to the strings at all times when picking. Besides all these things - do it slow and relax! That's where the hours of practice comes in.

Leather pants and 80s jackets are optional, but massively encouraged.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.