I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but what stuff do I play in front of people? I've been playing for about 1 1/2 years and I usually just learn parts of songs, not whole songs. And I don't really practice riffs over and over until its perfect, I just move onto the next thing. When im by myself I just try to play parts of songs I played or make up stuff that sounds cool or run down scales or whatever. But when I try to play in front of people, I have no idea what to play or do.

What do people normally do? Learn songs and keep practicing them until theyre perfect or what? This is difficult for me because most of the time I try to challenge myself with stuff that I can't really play up to speed yet.

I don't know. How do you guys practice and get "tightness" while playing opposed to looseness and what is typical when you play in front of people (not a gig setting)
I'd say learn a few songs or riffs that are easily recognisable. If someone asks you to play something, they don't want to hear mad shred skillz, they just want to hear a song. Make sure your timing is right, and play it confidently.

I'm learning a bunch of fingerpicking songs precisely for this reason.
I've been playing for the best part of 13 years, and only in the last year or 2 did I start actually learning songs from start to finish or practicing with a metronome. My timing was awful, my musical ear was nearly non existent and I had next to no patience to sit and learn whole pieces.
Just find one riff or section that you find really fun to play, and learn that whole song. Pretend you're in front of people when you're alone, and try to nail it exactly like you're impressing the whole room.
Once you start improving at any skill after a plateau, the enjoyment curve is straight up.
Just learn some newer popular songs like anything off AM or anything the 1975
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by ehbacon
you've only been playing for a year and a half and don't know any songs, why would you play in front of anybody?

Basically this.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Learn catchy guitar songs like Iron Man or AC/DC stuff, most people know the songs and will want to sing along to them. Eventually when you get good you can improvise stuff on the spot depending on the mood, or play your own songs. Just remember to not feel pressured, playing for people is supposed to be fun.

Personally I like asking people to just play songs they like on their phone, and I'll jam along to them. No pressure if I screw up (I'm not expected to know a song I've never heard before) and I get some improv practice in.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Honestly, the only time I really play stuff in front of other people is when I'm performing with a set list. When I'm practicing or playing for my own pleasure, I'm usually by myself. Otherwise I tend to avoid playing guitar in front of other people, unless it's a deliberate jam where I'm needed. No need to show off otherwise.

To answer your question though, I would suggest any popular song where there is a good chance that people around you will know the lyrics.
Most songs that you can probably play are like 4 chords total.

It can't be that hard to learn them, or learn songs that you can learn.

The way to achieve 'tightness' is to slow songs down and learn them slowly. Slow it right down with either a program that you can play along to, or use a metronome. if that means starting on 40% of the songs speed then so be it, then increase the speed in increments until you can gradually get up to normal speed.

We all have to (or should) do it.
Get rocksmith that helped me learn songs while having fun.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by Br0c00ler
Learn catchy guitar songs like Iron Man or AC/DC stuff, most people know the songs and will want to sing along to them. Eventually when you get good you can improvise stuff on the spot depending on the mood, or play your own songs. Just remember to not feel pressured, playing for people is supposed to be fun.

Personally I like asking people to just play songs they like on their phone, and I'll jam along to them. No pressure if I screw up (I'm not expected to know a song I've never heard before) and I get some improv practice in.

do this but don't do anything that involves metal or hard rock. learn some beatles' songs and some current pop songs. or just stuff that sounds pretty. anything with distortions should be excluded.
you're a stone fox
I've been playing guitar for 8 years and I still have nothing to play in front of people.
I always have friends like shove an acoustic in my face and be like "PLAY THIS, PLAY A SONG. WATCH THIS DUDE HE'S REALLY GOOD" and I'm like uhhhh jfc why don't i know any songs.

i think i need to learn wonderwall
Play this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI9YEMh4zI

Or this;

Or this;
(demo starts at 3:55 on the first part, most of the talking before should have been cut out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVomUbMr6TM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhDQ_GTVv8c

Or if blues is more your thing;
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
If you're confident in your playing, why wouldn't you want to play in front of others? I understand the fun of playing alone at home where no one can hear you, but if you have a talent, why not use it to amuse and entertain your friends? Displaying a talent you have isn't showing off, it's a way to make yourself unique, and maybe even seduce some women while you're at it
Usually people will either ask you to play a song that's popular on the radio, or the hardest song you know. In my experience, the Crazy Train riff works in both situations.
Play crap people want to hear, like if their mostly metalheads play raining blood if they are old play fortunate son. Its not that complicated really.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
This probably shouldn't be posted in The Pit and instead in Guitar Techniques, but whatever.. You've been playing 1.5years, you're gonna suck no matter what you do buddy.
Quote by Experei07

What do people normally do? Learn songs and keep practicing them until theyre perfect

Yes. What the hell is the point of challenging yourself with songs you can't play up to speed if you're not even going to actually learn the song?

Here's some protips:

Tapping. People who don't play guitar don't know that it's actually not so hard.

Sweeping. People who do play guitar but aren't very good can't do this, so if you can get some basic sweeps down everyone will think you're better than them. The downside to this is that people who don't play guitar can't understand why it's good.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Dec 27, 2013,
Quote by ichiefG13
Get rocksmith that helped me learn songs while having fun.

I got Rocksmith as well.

Waiting for cable i ordered from Amazon two days ago to come
Quote by Axelfox
I got Rocksmith as well.

Waiting for cable i ordered from Amazon two days ago to come

The****... the cable isn't included when you buy the game? what bullshit..
Also, Does rocksmith REALLY help you learn guitar faster? I always thought every "big" guitar teacher and such just said it's "the best software ever" just because they made money by saying that.

O.T.

What you should learn is any basic pop song. 4-chord songs and songs everyone knows.

I think the top rated tabs on this site are easy pop songs for the most part.
All the cheesy tunes you can think off, and you personally hate? play that shit.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Dec 27, 2013,
Quote by vilk

Here's some protips:

Tapping. People who don't play guitar don't know that it's actually not so hard.

Sweeping. People who do play guitar but aren't very good can't do this, so if you can get some basic sweeps down everyone will think you're better than them. The downside to this is that people who don't play guitar can't understand why it's good.

Protip 3:

Noodle around in Em pentatonic and bitches will think you're Slash
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
The****... the cable isn't included when you buy the game? what bullshit..
Also, Does rocksmith REALLY help you learn guitar faster? I always thought every "big" guitar teacher and such just said it's "the best software ever" just because they made money by saying that.

When you're starting out on guitar, Rocksmith kinda helps you through the "guitar is gay I can't play anything on it" stage that we all had to go through. But for an advanced player, it's a bit useless since the interface isn't suited for hundreds of notes flying at you, you're better off reading regular tabs at that point, although the training games aren't bad.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
I have rocksmith, it sucks.
If you want to be good, sit down with a guitar and a song you want to learn and figure it out. If it takes a week, then so be it. That's how you get better.
Quote by vayne92
This probably shouldn't be posted in The Pit and instead in Guitar Techniques, but whatever.. You've been playing 1.5years, you're gonna suck no matter what you do buddy.

Protip: Don't listen to this. 1.5 years is enough time to become solidly capable with chords, and most non-guitar players find anything that sounds familiar impressive. We were all drunk at a friend's house about a week ago, and my buddy found a guitar in his room and asked me to play Wonderwall, I played it for maybe 20 seconds and got comments on how "amazing" I am.

Another reason why you shouldn't listen to that is because playing music requires confidence. You're more likely to take negative comments to heart than positive ones. It's best not to listen to shit like this because it adds unneeded doubt to your abilities.
Quote by Hydra150
Play this

Or this;

Or this;
(demo starts at 3:55 on the first part, most of the talking before should have been cut out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVomUbMr6TM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhDQ_GTVv8c

Or if blues is more your thing;

*reported* for advertising, Fred Sokolow.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by macashmack
I have rocksmith, it sucks.
If you want to be good, sit down with a guitar and a song you want to learn and figure it out. If it takes a week, then so be it. That's how you get better.

Im sure you didn't like the songs there.
But It works. My friend from spain loved guitar and alwasy wanted to play but felt he was to old, after 2 months he was playing simple songs, and now his son is learning how to play.

If you dont like the songs they have in the game there is dlc for other stuf but if your serious about learning the basics and having fun while doing it/not having to play 200-300 in guitar lessons a month its well worth it mang.
Whats goes around must come down
Probably a song like mustang sally. I have heard that song gets the crowd at any club going