They wear out far too quickly. Dunlop Tortex 0.50mm (you know the red ones). Great for both Rhythm and lead playing. Except the seem to wear to a roud/blunt end very quick which isn't so good to play with. So does anyone know of any similar picks that will last a bit longer or am I just gonna have to suck it up and buy a crate load of the red ones?

Cheers guys
Try a 0.73 sharp
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dunlop Jazz III's are lovely and you'd have to take one to a grinder to wear it down
Quote by stealstrings

C:
Could it be the thickness? Or lack of, as in less pick to wear out. If that's the case but they fit well, just deal with it. Picks are cheap enough.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The 0.73's look really good ill have to try them. Are the Jazz's good for rythm aswell. I know its a tough one something thin enough to be good for rythm but strong enough not to get chewed up.
Might look into Cactus picks. They are really well made and seem to last a long time for me.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I use the Tortex "the wedge" .60 These are the same material, but they have a sharper point. They also have the tortex "sharp" which are even pointier. They make these in .53 also.

Have you tried the Dunlop Ultex picks? they last way longer than the tortex and are a similar feel.

I by picks in bulk 72 packs for $15ish from www.stringsandbeyond.com they have amazing customer service and sip super fast.

EDIT: just saw the UK thing. I'd order a few different type of picks and see which you like, I have been using Tortex of some kind for almost 20 years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 26, 2013,
2nd cactus picks, they are even stronger than plastic pickup covers so watch out where you pick with them.

Have you tried nylon? Quite a different feel but they wear insanely slow if you can get used to it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks alot guys Im gonna try and get my hands on all the different ones I can and just give it a bit time to see what I like. Thanks for all your suggestion and anyone else think of any lemme know
jazz iii ultex for me. the jazz iii shape is super and the ultex material is easier to hold than the regular nylon ones.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Try Ultex equivalent of your Tortex picks. They are more wear resistant though you use so thin picks that even they may not last long enough. I guess? I use from 0.94 to 1.40 depending on mood and sound i am after and have noticed that the thinner ones wear faster.

If all else fails go for metal picks.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I use a 1.5mm Dunlop one. Don't know which it is. Has a tortoise in the front.

Edit: It's a Dunlop Delrin.

Last edited by darrenram1 at Dec 27, 2013,
Feeling very at home with the .73 nylons .gonna order some 73 ultex sharps aswell though. Thanks guys
I use to always used .6-.7's Dunlop match picks. I liked the way the felt, and they were dirt cheap.

When I was in a studio for the first time, I switched to the tortex 1mm. I never knew how much a pick could impact your tone, until I done some back to back recordings with the match pick vs the tortex. My sound was much thicker with the tortex, and my lead cut thru much better. I order the bulk packs, like Robb mentioned.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H