I don't know how many people/threads/whatever I see about guys with a rig that includes 3,4,5,6+ pedals, sometimes 2-3 pedals just for overdrive/distortion. Makes me think about that Richards quote in the thread title. And yes I know he has used pedals before.

I'm just really curious, for guys with a lot of pedals, do you constantly use them, or is it just for certain songs? I've found that I can get pretty close to the sound I'm looking for by just fiddling with my guitar/amp controls no matter what tone I'm trying to get - with a consensus of I know that its going to be extremely tough to exactly replicate somebody's tone.

I ask because I've been reading into OD pedals and seems like everyone needs one whereas I am honestly perfectly comfortable with just my amp. It has built in reverb which is the only thing I've ever needed.
Good for you

Not everyone plays the same styles as you and some people like adding textures to their sound.

Besides the Stones suck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Everybody has an opinion.

Keith Richards used minimal distortion on most songs, probably enough to just use the natural distortion from the amp. I can only think of a couple of songs like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" where it seems like he may have used a pedal for extra distortion.

A lot of his songs have a fullness to the tone that just doesn't seem possible to get from the amp (or at least I can't seem to get it after trying several different amps). He got into doing a ton of post-production work (56 different tracks mixed into one song on "Exile") in the early 1970's, and I suspect he's given his own tracks a lot of tweaking.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Besides the Stones suck

A-frickin'-men!! Knew I couldn't be the only one.

And that'd suck pretty bad if everyone used your rig ts, no offense. Variety is the spice of life right? If you wanna be monotonous, that's fine, but why hate on others who don't.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
When I have played the Stones I didn't use pedals either except for maybe a boost for solos. I would rock up with just a combo and a tubescreamer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 26, 2013,
Use what works for you. If you are a "guitar through an amp - period!" kind of player, then go for it. On the other hand, if you want to be the first-call replacement guitarist for The Mars Volta, then you had better have more pedals than Imelda Marcos had shoes. Music is a very personal thing. There is room for everyone.

Old "Keef" not only uses a minimal setup; he removes the low "E" string from his guitars. His go-to Telecaster even has the polepiece for that string removed from the bridge pickup. Half a century of drowning one's brain in numerous controlled substances can have strange effects, but it seems to work for him.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Dec 27, 2013,
I've tried both sides of the "tap-dance".
For years I rocked wahs, added flangers and phasers and then added delay, overdrive, fuzz, compression and noise suppression.
Then one day, I felt lazy and didn't feel like digging out my pedalboard from its case after a trip and decided I'd just grab a short cable and plug into the same old amp.
Anyway, I've didn't plug in my board for over a year! I learned more about what my hands can do in that time then all the time I did stepping on pedals from the start. Now, I'm adding some things back slowly. I use things more sparingly. But then in the last 6 months its been going back the other way again. I guess it never stops.
24 BEER A DAY
EV'RY DAY
There's something raw about just plugging straight onto a good tube amp, mine really cuts and sounds amazing loud, but having a bit of stuff to shape things is always a good thing IMO
I'm not trying to hate on pedals, it was a legit question. Of course everyone has an opinion and in addition to that we all likely play different types of music. I'm sure in the future it is something I will look into, as I know my overdrive tones could use a little shaping. One of the reason I started looking into this stuff in the first place. The quote is just a jumping off point to conversation, and the Stones are just one example of a band and their sound.

I am simply curious as to how others go about finding their tone, as give me ideas on how to attempt to foray into getting other sounds. I mentioned how I can't match the tone of many artists I like.

One thing I will disagree on is the Stones, they are amazing and Keith's tone on Honky Tonk Women is phenomenal.

Monkey leg, I do know he runs 2 amps together to get his sound (Fenders for sure, I want to say Tweeds)

And also to other user above, he does take away the low E on some of his guitars but that's just for when he's in Open G
Last edited by romaviolafan at Dec 26, 2013,
It's generally just a preference. I've used amps that don't need them at all.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by romaviolafan
I'm not trying to hate on pedals, it was a legit question. Of course everyone has an opinion and in addition to that we all likely play different types of music. I'm sure in the future it is something I will look into, as I know my overdrive tones could use a little shaping. One of the reason I started looking into this stuff in the first place. The quote is just a jumping off point to conversation, and the Stones are just one example of a band and their sound.

One thing I will disagree on is the Stones, they are amazing and Keith's tone on Honky Tonk Women is phenomenal.

I played most of my life with only a guitar and amp, I now use minimal pedals.

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are amazing, the Stones are not. Don't get me wrong, they have a couple of decent songs, but to me having 1/2 a dozen decent songs in 50 yrs is not amazing. It is lucky they made it.

Paint it Black is the best song they ever wrote
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 27, 2013,
I did the standard thing of "BUY ALL THE PEDALS" when I started. A little while later I sold almost all of them and reverted back to just the amp. It's really refreshing to do, and I think everyone should as it helps build your own sound, from your fingers!

Since then the collection has increased again, got an OCD, might get a Bad Monkey today as well. It then becomes just about specific sounds you want to do. But I don't rely on them. My tone is in my fingers and that's the same regardless of what amp/pedals I'm going through.
Im of the belief that a od infront of the amp and an eq through the loop, is just essential to have with just about any amp. All the other stuff is fluff, but its good fluff

Then again I used to think id never need pedals years ago rocking my line 6 spider 2 15w. haha
Keith Richards may be an expert on 'ODs' but not in the sense we use the term.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I currently front an alt-country band but liking post-rock and shoegaze can adversely affect you - I don't really trust any sort of guitar sound that doesn't involve reverb or fuzz anymore. I mostly play clean(ish) through reverb and slapback echo, with an overdrive for when I need a bit of a kick and a fuzz for the garage-blues and big wall of sound moments. It's a very mimimalist setup for me - on my main pedalboard that I use at home and with my other band there's about 10 pedals...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
The stuf my band plays requires clean sounds, different levels of overdrive, louder overdrive, delay, reverb, and combinations of all that. All in one song. If you know a good amp that can do all that practically then awesome, but I dont want it -_-
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Depends on what I am playing. Generally I want my guitar to sound as massive as possible so I'm running a delay (normally a really fast one with 20 repeats) a reverb and a modulation at all times. So yeah I pretty much just leave it on.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I used to have like 12 fuzz pedals, but now I usually run a couple fuzzes, another distortion, a phaser, and a delay. 6 or 7 at the most. Any more than that I feel starts to get a bit redundant and hard to manage.
I have a few pedals but only use 2 of them in my chain... my OD is always on to tighten up the bottom-end of my amp, and I use my Fulltone boost to give me a little more gain and upper-mids for solos. I literally never use the clean channel on my amp for my band's songs, though. My setup gives me enough control to add or remove distortion as I need via playing dynamics and the volume knob.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+