Hi!

I'm wondering what guitar to get for playing some In Flames. They play mostly in BbFBbEbGC.

Should get a Baritone and tune it UP or get a normal guitar and tune it DOWN(that's 2,5 steps down) ?

With the normal guitar variant, I'm worried that I'll have to put steel cables instead of the strings just to keep them from going spaghetti and that the buzz will be incredible unless the guitar is set up to perfection and costs a small fortune.

With the baritone and uptuning i'm worried that it might create too much tension.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Xioinor at Dec 26, 2013,
They use 24.75" guitars, make of that what you will. Also they spent a great number more albums tuning to C standard than they have to A#.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think you already made a thread that was aimed at a somewhat similar topic on 6 vs. 7. I would just keep that old thread going and ask there. Try not to clutter with too many new threads on very similar topics.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I think you already made a thread that was aimed at a somewhat similar topic on 6 vs. 7. I would just keep that old thread going and ask there. Try not to clutter with too many new threads on very similar topics.

This has nothing to do with 7 strings tho and the situation was completely different, but point taken

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They use 24.75" guitars, make of that what you will. Also they spent a great number more albums tuning to C standard than they have to A#.

I guess they've modified the guitars specifically for that tuning, nut height, truss rod, etc.

Thanks for the info : )
Last edited by Xioinor at Dec 26, 2013,
it would be more common to simply get bigger strings guages for a normal guitar. I play mainly drop C and I get sizes around 12-52.
Quote by Xioinor
I guess they've modified the guitars specifically for that tuning, nut height, truss rod, etc.

Unless you have a particularly picky guitar you probably won't need to do anything to the nut or truss rod; a decently sized set of strings, intonation, and maybe action adjustments and you'll be fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play in C standard with 10-46 strings without issue, you don't need bridge cables for lowered tunings depending on the guitar. Good tuners, a good/well lubed nut, and a decent bridge make all the difference. You wouldn't necessarily want to go lighter, but with a well setup guitar with decent hardware super-thick strings aren't as important. If your guitar is a hardtail with a steep break angle and angled headstock it helps A LOT. My strat (different guitar) will not tune down without putting on piano wire, I use 11-50 strings on it in standard and it still has bit of a loose feeling to it even after a good setup.

On guitars with the right build, string gauge will have more of an effect on feel than tuning stability.
Last edited by tukk04 at Dec 26, 2013,
Get a baritone. Then you’ll already have it when you inevitably decide to start playing in B and drop A.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah Bjorn mainly uses a Les Paul Custom tuned down to Drop A#/ C Standard. He uses 13 - 68 gauge strings. Niclas uses different guitars a lot, so i can't say much about him. If you want to play IF, then just put thick strings on and do necessary adjustments. That's my opinion anyways.
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20