Hey kids, hopefully this thread is in the right place.

So I've had my old Strat in bits for the last half year after I painted it, got the neck set up by a local luthier, and I decided to get her going again.

After reassembling it and working through some earth problems as well as replacing a faulty 5-way switch (worn as, dead in position 2, 3, and 4(Crappy import parts)) with a fender item. I'm still having the same issue. It's currently running a two knob setup (master volume + master tone) that I found on the premier guitar website.

The trouble is that even before I did this and changed the switch, the neck pickup sound is very thin. it has zero bass and mids, so it barely overdrives the amp. I can't work it out, I've tried re-soldering all the joints but this didn't help. I thought it would be the switch for sure, alas, here we are any tech boffins got any ideas?
Last edited by Dead Eye Dick at Dec 27, 2013,
Have you tried adjusting the height? And check the resistance of the pick up.

I don't know exactly what ohms your pick up should be my guess would be 5-7000 ohms so if it's way out it may be an indication of a pickup problem. Might be a pot problem too but could be easily diagnosed depending on your knowledge of electrical wiring.
song stuck in my head today

yep heights are sweet, I cant see how it cold be the tone pot when its a master tone and the other pickups are fine. I really hope it isn't a bung pickup, though it sure is looking that way... I cant qite get my head around what could have happened to it to do this... perhaps a short, so the number of windings is low? its mega treble, zero guts... is there a fix for this?
Well, either that was never the pickup for you or it's an electrical problem. I think checking the resistance with a meter like lbc said above would be good. Compare against another pickup. If there was a short in either the wiring going to it or inside the pickup itself, then the resistance may be seriously lower.

If you want to remove any doubt about the switch, tone, etc, then try bypassing all that stuff. Just leave your ground wire going to the output jack but unsolder the current wire and just connect up the pickup straight to the jack (don't leave *anything* else connected). Then reassemble and test - if that sounds bad, you need a new pickup. Else it's time to start checking your wires and solder joints (and maybe your wiring strategy on the switch??).