Alright, this is going to be my first post so bear with me guys! I'm a 19 y/o who has been playing guitar for 4 years. I recently took a year and a half off because I lost quite a lot of passion and lost a lot of faith in myself and my technique (etc blah blah) I just recently picked up my guitar and I honestly have never been more passionate to play in my entire life which is great. ( just a disclaimer, I am a fairly average player, I can play metal like Lamb of God and bands like that fairly easy but I am absolutely s**thouse at playing lead although I am slowly getting better at it and it is my ultimate goal to be a good rhythm player but also be able to shred like a beast) my question is I just brought a Blackstar ID 60 amp.. It's digital distortion but it emulates different valve amps and although that sounds like a complete fail in theory, it actually pulls of a great distorted and clean tone, and with great sustain too! I've recently been watching a helluva lot of videos regarding compressor pedals and I'm wondering honestly, if I get one will it improve the quality of my playing or is it a complete overkill for the type of music I play? Sometimes a lot of my notes get lost when I'm trying to do things like arpeggios so I just thought that maybe having a compressor would help with the clarity of everything.. and I also could be dead wrong. Could I please have some help guys? Cheers and sorry for the long post.
Don't worry about pedals right now. Work with your amp, and if you get tired of the sounds you're getting from that then upgrade your amp. A compressor pedal is a piece of gear that (IMO), if you have to ask if you need one, you don't need one.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Additionally, high gain distortion will already compress your signal a fair bit already. A compressor will have some effect that a trained ear could identify, but for now you're probably good with just your amp. Save your money or maybe get a good tuner pedal or eq if you don't have them already.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
1. Additionally, high gain distortion will already compress your signal a fair bit already.
2. A compressor will have some effect that a trained ear could identify, but for now you're probably good with just your amp.
3. Save your money or maybe get a good tuner pedal or eq if you don't have them already.

1. Yeah, that's that.
2. If you're putting it before a more-than-lightly distorted amp, yeah.
If you're putting it before a less-than-lightly distorted amp, the difference can be from subtle to huge depending on how you set the thing.
3. Up for the EQ idea.

Compressors don't help clarity, they basically make your volume more even.
With a bit of fantasy you can set them to get a lot of sustain or a funky, high attack sound, but in the end what they do is compressing the dynamic range.
You probably would make little use of them for what you make, and they wouldn't really help you a lot if you ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
IMO a compressor is a really subtle effect.
I was playing off and on for 25+ years before I bought one (On a whim), and another 6+ months before I found a use for it.