Hardwire tl-2
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Depends on what metal you're playing (would you like to elaborate? 80s metal requires a whole different tonal ballpark than death metal and neither of those fit into the tonal ballpark of thrash. I could go on, but you get the picture), but the classics are Ibanez Tube Screamers, Boss Metal, and Big Muffs (or Metal Muff).
Last edited by mjones1992 at Dec 26, 2013,
Quote by mjones1992
Depends on what metal you're playing (would you like to elaborate? 80s metal requires a whole different tonal ballpark than death metal and neither of those fit into the tonal ballpark of thrash. I could go on, but you get the picture), but the classics are Ibanez Tube Screamers, Boss Metal, and Big Muffs (or Metal Muff).

+1. That's like asking "what car do you recommend for going to the grocery store?" There's no answer until we get some specifics.

That said, many of the most famous metal tones (regardless of subgenre) were not derived from pedals, but rather specific amps that were only enhanced by pedals. I have yet to hear a distortion pedal that delivers what I consider a satisfactory metal distortion on its own. About the only distortion pedal I can think of that is pretty much critical in getting a distinct metal tone is the Boss Hm-2; and that's only really good for death metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by mjones1992

Tube Screamer is overdrive, not distortion. Boss pedals like MT-2 Metal Zone are not very good, HM-2 Heavy Metal is good for those death metal sounds like At The Gates, if you're not after that tone then avoid that one too.

I have a Wampler Triple Wreck and it kicks ass, but it's expensive.
Id say a turbo rat, it sounds good for everything that's not a ____-core genre. (I guess you could use it for those genres but i never tried) I can go from Judaa Priest to Nile to Death to Testament to Overkill to Amon Amarth to Cannibal Corpse... but chances are your better off with a new amp what amp do you have?

Edit a Jekyll and hyde would serve you very well, that pedal covers a lot of ground tone wise. It works well with both solid state and tube amps, it doesn't do ____-core very well but it has a solid ts clone in it as well so if you go out and buy a 6505 its not a paper weight.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Dec 27, 2013,
Quote by mjones1992
Anyone using a Tube Screamer for metal is probably using it to drive their amps distortion. Most metal guitarists get their tone from the amp though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by EADGBE1
I play heavy metal, trash metal, metalcore, etc.

Current amp? Budget? Location? Are you willing to go used?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.