Poll: Should artists be able to copyright the publicly created tabs of their songs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should artists be able to copyright the publicly created tabs of their songs?
Yes
1 10%
No
9 90%
Voters: 10.
First off, I apologize if there is already a thread on this topic. I did a quick search and couldn't find one specifically with a poll. Secondly, whoops on the apostrophe.

For those who dare not crash into the impenetrable wall of text, I'll put it at the start. Should artists be able to "own" all written down versions of their songs? Anyone who dares read on, we thank you.

Playing devil's advocate, I understand that if they themselves wrote out on some magical scroll (dramatic effect) the blueprint of their song, they should own that, and anyone who copies it should be liable for legal, copyright action. But what about someone else's interpretation of this blueprint, isn't that different?

It seems silly to me that an average Joe like myself can listen to a song by ear, tab out how to play it, then have some corporate schmuck come in and say that they OWN the work that Joe just did.

What gives? Are they all planning on releasing official, artist licensed tablature books themselves, and are afraid that these "free" tabs made by the public with their own EARS AND VARIATIONS will reduce their sales figures? That's the only logical reason I can come up with.

Would it hurt their profits that badly? My lord, it's like they're trying to squeeze pennies from our urethras.

What's next? Will they invent technology that can probe the brains of people who have learned songs by memory, haul em all in and lobotomize them, hoping to erase the memory of the songs they learned? 'Cause lord knows that bar bands playing cover tunes are hurting ticket sales of the actual artist.

I wonder if copyright law even really says much on this topic, or if they are all just using scare tactics. I know it would be impractical to expect UG to fight back, legal fees and all, but it's just a thought... how would this play out in the court of law? What if someone fought back?
Last edited by danleary at Dec 27, 2013,
pretty sure copyrighting means you can't make money from it
you're allowed to tab out a song, you just cant then sell the tab as your own or go record that song and sell it
cop·y·right
ˈkäpēˌrīt/Submit
noun
the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.
"he issued a writ for breach of copyright"

Yet they use that copyright power to go to places such as UG and force them to take down tabs that other people created. Maybe I should have worded the poll better, but the focus is meant to be on the aggressive nature of some of these publishers and what they do on UG.
Last edited by danleary at Dec 27, 2013,
it's fine i know the definition of copyright but thanks anyway; i was saying what it means
like its fine to record something off the tv, that doesn't breach copyright but its once you start selling that programme/film for your own profit when it becomes illegal

so applying that to tabs, if you make a book full of tabs (that you've made yourself) for famous songs and sell it then its illegal unless you get permission from the song-writers

all depends how ultimate guitar makes its money i suppose, but they publish tabs and make money (directly or indirectly, i don't know) so i guess it kinda does breach copyright