ever have a low end guitar uve modded or uprgraded ????like replaced pick ups or gotten a better bridge installed , ect ? I have a esp ltd v-50 that was my first real guitar after my first act , so uk I learned on it and it has like a special place in my heart , im swaping out the pick-ups for some sd jb and jazz so it will definatly make a big improvement. would u ever use a modded low end guitar for a gig ? I was just thinkin about that, ive never giged with this one im thinkin it will be gig worthy after I install the SDs on it. its my only v and I love vs but after I can save the money up ill get a rr5 .
The most important factors that go into making a guitar "good" are how it feels, and how well it was put together. You can swap hardware and electronics until the sun goes down, but if the guitar doesn't work for you in your hands, no amount of money you throw at it will fix it.

Throwing money at your guitar is perfectly fine and good. Just make sure the actual guitar itself works for you first.

Sound is like, bottom priority. Do you have any idea how many different pickups there are out there? Chances are there's one that's gonna work for you. And if not, well you probably need a new amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've done a pickup swap on a high-end guitar, and I plan on doing so for an old but nice Dean Special Select EVO. I even intend to buy a Dean Cadillac in white with gold hardware to serve as a platform for some Bareknuckle Rebel Yells with the gold covers etched with the raygun...

But the only reasonable way to come to that kind of decision is like Offworld92 says: the physical platform of the guitar you're modding has to be well made and comfortable. Otherwise, its just a waste.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, few things on my Mexican Strat.

- It originally had a neck with rosewood fretboard, but the seller had a spare with maple, so I got that instead

- Routed the 50's body to fit a bridge humbucker and...

- Replaced the pickups, neck and middle with very clean Ruokangas singlecoils, the bridge with an old high-gain Tokai humbucker.

- Replaced the factory trem with a Wilkinson

It was quite nice at first, now it's excellent
Quote by Keskimaki

- Replaced the pickups, neck and middle with very clean Ruokangas singlecoils, the bridge with an old high-gain Tokai humbucker.

WOW.

Those Ruokangas ARE a serious upgrade!

Did you liberate them from a Ruokangas, or did you purchase them from the company?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
WOW.

Those Ruokangas ARE a serious upgrade!

Did you liberate them from a Ruokangas, or did you purchase them from the company?

I literally found 'em in a spare parts box from a thrift shop with various other trinkets. The whole box for some ~30€.

But since Ruokangas is Finnish company, sometimes you can find something like that just lying around around here.
I have a Jackson DK2 that I scalloped and cut/contoured the body a bit and put in some EMGs. It's probably worth less now that before though
If a guitar feels good, sounds good acoustically, and has no dead notes on the fretboard then I say it's fair game for upgrades no matter what it cost originally.

If you have issues with any of the three things I listed then changing pickups and electronics won't magically fix those things... yeah, I learned that the hard way.
I modded a korean dean hardtail (all mahogany with a set neck) pretty extensively. replaced pickups with active emgs, installed cts pots, a tone pros tom bridge, swapped out the tuners for godin locking tuners. put in dunlop straplocks, and attacked the side of the guitar with a da sander to make it more comfortable on my right arm. I plan on installing a kill switch on it next. It's a freakin awesome guitar. the neck is so stiff it handles drop tunings with ease and the fretwork and setup are next to perfection.
Quote by Offworld92
The most important factors that go into making a guitar "good" are how it feels, and how well it was put together. You can swap hardware and electronics until the sun goes down, but if the guitar doesn't work for you in your hands, no amount of money you throw at it will fix it.

Throwing money at your guitar is perfectly fine and good. Just make sure the actual guitar itself works for you first.

Sound is like, bottom priority. Do you have any idea how many different pickups there are out there? Chances are there's one that's gonna work for you. And if not, well you probably need a new amp.

I like the point you made cuz ik a lot of ppl wholl buy a guitar more for sound than comfort but my V is real confy for me like I said it was my first guitar so I got used to the shape real quickly but its a nice feeling guitar ive had it for almost five years so I got tired of the stock pickups , but for 250 it was a nice guitar. when sitting its more comfortable than my schecter quite honsetly
Oh yeah, I definitely have. My first "non-beginner" guitar was my $300 Ibanez RG370DX. The tone was sub-par but it played very nicely. After dropping in an EMG 81/60 set I can barely hear the low-quality basswood anymore (that's EMGs for you, lol)
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I'd say what offworld said too. Just get a guitar that feels good to you, then go from there. Now I dont mod my guitars, at least not yet, but from my list in my sig you can see theyre all pretty much low end, but IMO they're Gems.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
I got a good a good cheap guitar but I haven't done anything to it yet but Id like to switch out the pups someday.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Put a Dimarzio evolution in my Ibanez Art100. Sounds good to me and plays good.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
I've done upgrades of everything on my Epi Les Paul but the pickups. New pots, caps, switch, jack, nut, bridge and tailpiece. The new guts brightened up the sound and made the tone controls much more useable. Bridge and tailpiece were mainly for looks, as I didn't care for the stock nickel hardware and went to chrome.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I love upgrading relatively cheap guitars. I have had a few MIM strats that I have swapped out pickups, PLek'd the fingerboard, swapped out the tuners for locking tuners, etc. My Sheraton I swapped out the pickups, had it plek'd, upgraded the pots, and swapped out the tuners, and it's just a thing of playing beauty now. I can't seem to NOT upgrade a guitar when I get it, with a few exceptions. My American strat is stock except for straplocks. For me, playing with the parts is a major part of the fun. You won't make money on the guitar if you do it, but upgrading is one of the ways you can make a guitar really yours.

As someone said, what matters is having a good platform to start. I just bought a Epi Les Paul, and the previous owner said it well; "It's a good piece of wood..." Gotta have and love the good piece of wood to start for the process to be worthwhile.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
I don't have a lot of cheap guitars, but I do have a few. Several of them have been PLEK'd and have had their frets superglued. In a couple of cases, the cost of doing that is very close to the cost of the guitar when I bought it (used, in most cases). But the results are stellar -- they play consistently from guitar to guitar, and they play as well or better than some of the expensive guitars.

I've done electronics work/pickup swaps on only a few guitars -- a 20-year-old Samick with Hot Rail-alikes ended up getting real Hot Rails, a '91 Carvin that someone had badly modified in the past got a new set of everything (current Carvin). But only a couple of them have been heavily modified, and those have new routs, electronics, battery boxes, different pickups, added-in gear, etc., to the point where they now have some pretty advanced capabilities.
Quote by Ippon
I installed an older, MIJ Tokai neck and Motor City PUs on a $70 (close-out price) Squier '51.

That's sweet
Heres my Ibanez Gio SZ120

Body

Ive also done a lot of work on the neck itself.
Modding cheap guitars is the most fun in my opinion. Such as right now I am working on a Main Street strat copy.
Squier affinity telecaster. Used a thick drill bit to fit a jb in the bridge. Ripped out, the neck pickup. Threw a ring in their to mount the jb. Made it a single volume pot. And yes I've gigged it. It sounds odd, but good. Really depends on the room I'm in. Much lower out put than I expected, but sounds good.