Hi.
I just got Big Muff Pi and I've got a problem.
When I'm playing single note everything sounds pretty good, fuzzed. But when I hit one after another or bot at the same time the sound becomes harshy and just doesn't fit. Some notes become just a wall of noise and it doesn't sound like what I'm playing. It happens when I 've got my sustain knob near zero or all the way right.
I'm using Fender Strat, only Big Muff pedal with Fender amp on clean channel.

How can I get rid of that? Or maybe my pedal is broken?

Here put up a video on how it sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLM09pFh1Y&feature=youtu.be
Just sounds like a Big Muff to me! Fuzz pedals generally don't like full chords - which Big Muff do you have? Is it the Tone Wicker one or the old big-box version? I usually play mine with the Tone off, Wicker on and sustain at about 12 o'clock and it seems to get some clarity back.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
^+1. A Big Muff muffles. A wall of sound can be glorious on certain occasions.
Lil off topic but I've heard smashing pumpkins (whomever) poked holes in a speaker for fuzz. Anyone know anything about this? I've been wanting to try it and have a spare speaker but I haven't had the heart to poke holes in it without confirmation. Lotsa misinformation on google.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
He also used the Fender Blender quite a lot. Doesn't really add a lot to this thread, just for general info. Got some good sounds on Siamese Dream with that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 27, 2013,
The big muff used by smashing pumpkins used opamps instead of transistors. Pretty different sound to the current production model.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by JustRooster
He also used the Fender Blender quite a lot. Doesn't really add a lot to this thread, just for general info. Got some good sounds on Siamese Dream with that.

From what I understand, Siamese Dream is 99% Big Muff with a little bit of Big Muff and MXR Dist II
Quote by lucky1978
Lil off topic but I've heard smashing pumpkins (whomever) poked holes in a speaker for fuzz. Anyone know anything about this? I've been wanting to try it and have a spare speaker but I haven't had the heart to poke holes in it without confirmation. Lotsa misinformation on google.

That's probably hearsay. Ripped speaker cone distortion has a distinctive sound and I don't really hear it on SP songs.
Quote by iwannabesedated
From what I understand, Siamese Dream is 99% Big Muff with a little bit of Big Muff and MXR Dist II

yeah, he used the dist ii and big muff on leads from what i've read.
Quote by lucky1978

that's the kinks you're thinking of, buddy.
Quote by mulefish
The big muff used by smashing pumpkins used opamps instead of transistors. Pretty different sound to the current production model.

This. Op-amp Big Muff into a JCM-800 I believe, either that or some type of marshall.

A lot of layering and studio stuff also involved.
Yeah, I was afraid that everything is ok with my Muff.
The sound I wanted to achieve was kind of a Fripp sound, mainly in One More Red Nightmare and Interlude/ Saxophone Sound. Sound is pretty clear, played by my Big Muff it doesn't make too much sense, all sounds like a distorted wall of noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozftPJiRdQE
If you're lazy it's from 2:06.
Is there a certain way of ripping a speaker? Cause I like the Kinks waaay better than sp, now I'm definitely trying it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You should really do research before you purchase something. Big Muff is pretty high gain for a pedal, the video you shown was subtle overdrive.

I can get where you think you coulda got the sound out of a Big Muff. There is a bit of a growl in the tone that is very prominent it the Big Muff (and in my opinion is what makes the Big Muff an amazing pedal) but there's a lot more to that then just a small characteristic.

Do some research on what gear they used on that song.
Quote by lucky1978
Lil off topic but I've heard smashing pumpkins (whomever) poked holes in a speaker for fuzz. Anyone know anything about this?

That's Link Wray not the Pumpkins...
I think a fuzz face or tone bender or something in that vein of fuzz tones would work for the sound you want. The big muff is certainly not that kind of fuzz.
I wouldn't recommend poking holes in your speakers personally.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by iwannabesedated

I'm going off of what I read in a Guitar World article, so the info could totally be wrong.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER