I'm no engineer and I really didn't do any "mixing" other than pan and volume. So I'm looking for pointers.
www.theorangeline.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/orangelinemusic

I also haven't come up with what 'genre' this is.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
how did you record the drums? and did u record all together at once?
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
oh and go blackhawks btw
-John Bunyan
vocals should come up on thank you come again, in my opinion, unless its for effect and intentional
-John Bunyan
How did you mic everything? Not a bad recording for referencing what your band sounds like. Guitars arent bad. Drums sound a bit thin, is the snare switched on?
(signature removed, please choose another)
I literally just used a Peavey PV r100i dynamic cardioid vocal mic I think it's called for everything. I stuck it through the tom stands to where it was basically in the middle of every drum. I recorded the drums, then I recorded guitar by kind of sticking the same mic at a random spot on the amp, usually pointed down and in slightly about .5 in fromt eh cone. , then guitar 2, then bass, then vocals. Bass I DI'd and used Hybrit and LeCab because I don't have any bass amp/cab sims. I 'mixed' everything on headphones so it might sound better though headphones. The only thing I have to use that aren't headphones is a record player with a line in.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
I live in a small town and don't have any other members, so I had to record one instrument at a time.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Go overhead on the drum mic. If you had two of the same mic it would be better, but take your one mic and place it facing directly at the middle of the snare, straight down, about 3 ft up or so. Enough the capture the cymbals too depending on how high they are.

Guitar amp, aim the mic somewhere around the center, you can try angling it different ways. usually where the dust cap meets the speaker cone. google if you dont know what i mean.

Bass, DI all the way, try different amp/cab sims and blending the original DI. TSE BOD makes a good free vst.

Vocals, just make sure when recording them, your distance between the mic and your mouth changes with your dynamics to keep the volume even. Quiter stuff up close, yelling and loud stuff hold it a bit further back or back away a little.

Then Mixing

Then Mastering.

Also, is the snare turned on? Maybe mess with the snare a bit too, doesnt cut through a whole lot.
Last edited by player o slayer at Dec 27, 2013,
I'm not a drummer. I don't even know what rutning the snare on means. I just got this kit so I could mess around on it and record drums for myself. i'm trying to force a drummer buddy over to show me how to tune them. But I'll try moving the drum mic. The only 'mixing' or 'mastering' i know are panning nad volume. And I just got the MXL 550/551r mic package so I'm gonna start playing around with those soon.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
The uh, beads on the bottom? are they against the skin or away from it. theres a switch on the side of the snare that preforms this action.