I got a set of strap locks and would like to use them. However, i'm a bit weary if these will crack my guitars finish if I put them in. Any risks here?
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
I use Schallers and I always have to add a few cocktail sticks and glue to fill in the hole before I screw in my strap locks. Never had an issue on all any of my guitars when installing them.
There should be a little fabric polo shaped thing when you take the old strap hooks off. That's what thats used for, to not crack the finish. Just re-use them and you'll be fine.
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20
Quote by FingerFud
There should be a little fabric polo shaped thing when you take the old strap hooks off. That's what thats used for, to not crack the finish. Just re-use them and you'll be fine.

Out of all my guitars only one has this and I have never had an issue with strap locks damaging the finish.
Do you understand that strap locks use the existing strap button screw holes?
I have strap locks on most of my guitars and have never had a problem. I do know that strap locks make dropping your guitar less likely, and dropping it WILL crack the finish.
Don't overtighten them.

There is really nothing else to it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by stormin1155
I do know that strap locks make dropping your guitar less likely, and dropping it WILL crack the finish.

Probably the best quote today...

I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
There's a risk unscrewing the old strap button will crack the finish if it was overtightened or installed before the finish was completely dry at the factory. There is also a risk that the finish will crack if you use a larger screw or overtighten the screw when installing the new strap lock. A small risk, in most cases.

However, having installed a few straplocks I have never had any problems. Just be careful, use a felt washer between the lock and the finish and do not overtighten the screw and you will probably be fine. The best thing would be if you can use the original screw with your straplocks. The one supplied by Schaller tends to be slightly smaller than standard.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by PoopShovel
I got a set of strap locks and would like to use them. However, i'm a bit weary if these will crack my guitars finish if I put them in. Any risks here?

no more or less than every other strap pin will do....
Right, well i put them in my guitar today, I followed everyone's advice with the felt washer. I used the screws that came with the locks, nothing cracked so today's a success with that
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55