Hey guys,

Lately I've been getting more into recording and my Kindle Fire just isn't cutting it, lol.

I have a decent microphone and an adapter to go from the standard microphone jack to USB. The only problem is, I can't really have my computer in my music room. Additionally, when I recorded into Audacity previously, there was this noisy/static sound added to my recordings that was not present in real life. The USB adapter does have a gain dial, but it didn't seem to matter where I set it -- the sound remained.

I was wondering if there is a separate unit that I can plug my mic into that will record tracks and also allow me to listen to tracks as I record new ones? (And later upload them to a DAW on my computer). I'm aware of the Tascam multitrack recorders but they're a bit out of my budget. Also, I want to close-mic my amp for the best possible sound -- it appears that those are meant to just record the live sound of the room (I may be mistaken). Budget is about $80-90. Thanks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Look for a zoom Q3 (the old blue one) it does video and really good sound from 2 condenser mic's in an XY pattern or you can look for a Zoom Q2. The Q2 is basically the same type of device and I have seen them on Ebay for $119 new with free shipping. Then yiou just edit what you want on your PC/Mac
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds to me like you're describing a Zoom R series multitracker/interface. No chance of getting one with your budget though, so save your money & wait till you can afford one and watch ebay for used R8/R16s.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My local music store has these: Presonis AudioBox USB

It looks like it could do a lot for me, but one thing I wasn't clear on is whether or not it can record without being connected to a computer.

I don't have a laptop (but maybe I could use my wife's); I use a desktop computer. I can't really move my guitar rig downstairs to my office, or vice-versa. If I could record with this unit and THEN plug it into my computer I think this is what I would get. I just can't figure out if it's designed to do that...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
My local music store has these: Presonis AudioBox USB

It looks like it could do a lot for me, but one thing I wasn't clear on is whether or not it can record without being connected to a computer.

I don't have a laptop (but maybe I could use my wife's); I use a desktop computer. I can't really move my guitar rig downstairs to my office, or vice-versa. If I could record with this unit and THEN plug it into my computer I think this is what I would get. I just can't figure out if it's designed to do that...

Yeah that needs to be connected to a computer.

your best bet is to look at the zoom hand held recorders. there are some recorders that do what you want, but they are way over your budget. You can get a cheap zoom for $100 but they have built in mics not XLR inputs.

If you have a IPod or Iphone there are some plugins that may do what you want. I know they have a XY mic by Tascam I think, so they might have a XLR attachment
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah that needs to be connected to a computer.

your best bet is to look at the zoom hand held recorders. there are some recorders that do what you want, but they are way over your budget. You can get a cheap zoom for $100 but they have built in mics not XLR inputs.

If you have a IPod or Iphone there are some plugins that may do what you want. I know they have a XY mic by Tascam I think, so they might have a XLR attachment

Thanks! I'll have to look into a Zoom maybe. The only thing that concerns me about those is the ability to close-mic the speakers (maybe I'd be able to). When I've recorded with my kindle I had to back it away from my cab quite a bit and it added some ambience, which muddied the tightness of my riffs.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I use to have a dirt cheap tascam handhold recorder that I could use a mic with so I'd assume the Zoom units can do that too. You'd just need adapters. I could easily be wrong though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by KailM
Thanks! I'll have to look into a Zoom maybe. The only thing that concerns me about those is the ability to close-mic the speakers (maybe I'd be able to). When I've recorded with my kindle I had to back it away from my cab quite a bit and it added some ambience, which muddied the tightness of my riffs.

Watch some youtube clips of the original Q3 by zoom. Anthrax is the band that does the demo and they get right up on guitar cabs, bass cabs and all the drums. The quality of the sound is remarkable for a small hand held.

I would look at the Q2 it is newer and it can be bought for $119 new on ebay. it also records in 1080p HD video.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
BTW, the songs... Some Bird, Baldwin Park, Orange Chimera, Jelly Jam, Sneaky, and Outta Town in my link below were recorded with that unit. However I used a multifx/looper direct into it instead of a mic.
^^Sounds pretty good! Though, I'd be micing directly to my cab.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 to the zoom Q3.

My last band had one. We recorded some acoustic stuff/interviews with it. It works great if you have an external mic. The built in mic sucks ass.

We used it, an iphone 4 and some cheap cannon camera in different locations to shoot an interview once. The zoom had the best video, but the iphone had way better audio...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H