So I haven't found anything in these forums about the GT-10, and people's opinions of it. I'd really like some expert's opinions. People who've used it, compared it.. etc. etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh sorry, I'm talking about Boss's Multi-effects board.
Last edited by vl3005 at Dec 27, 2013,
It is OK, but I would prefer a Line 6 POD HD or POD X3
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by vl3005
So I haven't found anything in these forums about the GT-10, and people's opinions of it. I'd really like some expert's opinions. People who've used it, compared it.. etc. etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh sorry, I'm talking about Boss's Multi-effects board.

nice unit. a good friend of mine has one and swears by it. why do you want to know?
I used one as a major component of my rig for a while.

What exactly do you want to do with it? That will determine if it's a good choice for you or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I guess what I'm asking really, in a nutshell is - compared to competitors in it's category, how does this ME fend off? Why is the Line 6 POD better? Where does the GT-10 lose to it?

For heavy rock/metal players such as myself.

Also, is the COSM (the propriety sound engine) really that bad compared to others in the market?
Last edited by vl3005 at Dec 28, 2013,
The GT-10 has strengths and weaknesses in different areas, hence why I wanted to know how exactly you were going to run it.

Disclaimer: I owned a Boss GT-10, and I currently own a Line 6 M9.

In general, the Boss COSM algorithms are definitely behind the times now, even in the newer GT-100. Line 6's POD HD & M lines completely dominate the current $500 cap market right now. In particular, the amp modeling in the POD HD is far better. Line 6's models are more dynamic and "realistic" as far as responding like tube amps actually respond. One of the notable places Line 6's models shine is the high gain models. They just sound better, they capture more of the harmonic content that is present in real high gain amps, whereas the Boss GT models still succumb to the old school shitty digital sounding clipping for their high gain models.

FX wise, they're closer to being on par. I think some of Line 6's models are better (delay and reverb in particular come to mind). Distortion on both is not worth mentioning, digitally modeled distortion just sucks period in this price range. They both have cool FX that the other doesn't, and I think that Boss has superior Tremolo & Vibrato FX. Boss allows deeper parameter editing than the M (not sure if the POD HD is deeper or not), which may or may not be a big deal to you.

Now, where boss shines is that it has an Amp Control feature that Line 6 is sorely lacking. What this means is that if you happen to have a simple (2 channel) amp that has its channels controlled via a 1/4" TRS jack, and it has a serial FX loop, the Boss GT (8, 10 & 100) can become the "brain" of your rig, with the power to route and switch everything at once. There is a ton of stuff you can do with it, so I'll just use the way my rig was setup:

My signal chain ran from my guitar through a standalone compressor, through the GT-10 and out into a standalone overdrive pedal, through my Peavey 6505 in the 4 Cable Method. The only modeling the GT-10 was doing 90% of the time was acting as an EQ in the loop. But I used the GT-10s clean amp models which allowed me to bypass the front of the amp completely, routing the signal from my guitar -> compressor -> GT-10, straight to the 6505 poweramp. The 6505 isn't known for it's cleans. Problem eliminated, the GT-10 simulated a clean channel for me. But I didn't have to deal with the shitty GT-10 distortion, just one patch button and my signal was routed back through the overdrive and the front of the amp for the full glory of the 6505 (accompanied by the GT-10's EQ and noise gates in the loop). Any FX I could ever want were there if I wanted them, in front of the amp or in the loop.

The GT-10 is less restricted in effect stacking and placement than the POD HD. I usually recommend it as an FX unit rather than the POD HD for this reason.

If you are looking for a unit with the main intent of using it's amp models, then get a POD HD. No contest. But if you're looking for an FX unit, then give what you need out of the unit some more thought based on what I've written here.

If you're looking for a unit that you don't need to route at all in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time, and you don't need to create big patches with multiple effects, I highly recommend the Line 6 M9 or M13.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks man... cleared things for me quite a bit.

Let me see if I got this right; for Amp modelling, the Line 6 products dominate. As a standalone effects board, the GT-10 is the better choice BUT Distortion sux balls both.

Since I'm still pretty a noob in signal routing and all that "what comes before", I should get the POD HD for it's amp modelling, but - I still intend to get the amp of my choice one day so it's not really a priority for me.

And now I'm back in square 1 - damnit.
Well the POD HD sounds good enough that it will still be useful even if you do get a real amp later, because you can still use it as an interface for recording.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X