When good players, or shit... better than me I guess . Play a note (normally a bend) sometimes they do this thing where I can hear the pick hit the string extra hard. I think? Zakk Wylde does it in some videos...

http://youtu.be/ILbharIiEig

at like 0:20-0:22 you'll hear this girl do it. & sometimes I can do it but idk how or why. it's sick and adds so much feel IMO.

http://youtu.be/MfvQevEuymU

and this girl does it a lot in this cover, but 1:39-1:41 you should hear it at 1:41.
(her bends are so sexy... i wanna get better . )

Is it like slightly muted or something? How do I do it??
I think the sound you're going after is the Rake technique. Basically, just before hitting the note that when you go in to pick the note, you mute the string (or two/three strings) below the fretted string and quickly hit those on the way to the note that you bend. Dave Gilmour does it quite a lot (hence all the Comfortably Numb videos lol!)

----------
----15b-
---x-----
--x------
----------
----------

Something like the above. As a result you get the bent note but with that percussive pick attack sound too. So motion wise it's a little bit like a simplified sweep - all in one quick downpick. Sounds like they're both just muting the string below in these videos. It's kinda awkward to pull of at first but once you've got it, it becomes pretty simple
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Last edited by IgnoreThis at Dec 27, 2013,
Quote by IgnoreThis
I think the sound you're going after is the Rake technique. Basically, just before hitting the note that when you go in to pick the note, you mute the string (or two/three strings) below the fretted string and quickly hit those on the way to the note that you bend. Dave Gilmour does it quite a lot (hence all the Comfortably Numb videos lol!)

----------
----15b-
---x-----
--x------
----------
----------

Something like the above. As a result you get the bent note but with that percussive pick attack sound too. So motion wise it's a little bit like a simplified sweep - all in one quick downpick. Sounds like they're both just muting the string below in these videos. It's kinda awkward to pull of at first but once you've got it, it becomes pretty simple

YES! That's exactly what I mean! "Rake technique" okay thanks! It's actually not easy to do... But I've done it on accident so I know I can do it with practice. Thanks!
You're always quick on responses to tech questions, much appreciated good sir! . Happy Holidays!
Ahah excellent, no worries dude and the same to you! You keen on rakin' now!
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
in addition to the rake thing, sometimes you're just hitting two strings at once. that's what i'd do rather than actually attempt a rake for most of those.

at ~1:48 in the second vid you can see she does a rake (it's pretty much sweep picking but with muted strings, you can see the extended pick hand movement), and that's what the rake sounds like.

but at, say, ~0:22 in the first vid, that sounds more like the "hit two adjacent strings at roughly the same fret" thing I mentioned.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?