So I have a song with a chord progression of C, Em, Am, and Em with a capo on the 3rd fret.
If I understand correctly it changes the chords to D#/Eb, G, Cm, and G. Is that correct?

I am trying to come up with a lead part for the song and I just wanted to get some info on what scale I could play here.

Thanks
The original key would have been in C major/ A minor and when transposing a chord progression the Major chords stay major and the minor chords stay minor and since you're on the 3rd fret with the capo, everything gets moved up a minor 3rd therefore C becomes Eb, Em because Gm and Am becomes Cm. Now we are in Eb major/C minor
Why are you removing minors from chords? Em three semitones up is Gm, not G.

Edit: The Gm is an absolute. It retains the shape of Em, but since you're playing with a capo on the third, it changes.
Last edited by Lifesign at Dec 28, 2013,
I think the key is really ambiguous. I'd have to listen to it before making a call. I'd guess that the key was Am in the original key and Cm in the new key but it's pretty unclear.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I would say it's in C major - or actually Eb major because you are using a capo. So yeah, play Eb major scale over it.

And as JNBloomy said, when you transpose, you transpose all notes so the chord quality stays the same. E minor doesn't become G major when transposed a minor third up. It becomes G minor. You move every note a minor third up. The notes in E minor chord are E, G and B. Move everything a minor third up and you get G, Bb and D. Transposing just changes the key. The song still sounds exactly the same. And if the chord quality changed (for example from minor to major), it wouldn't sound the same any more.

^ Yeah, I agree. It's not 100% clear which of the chords is the tonic. But notes in Eb major scale would work over it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 28, 2013,
Eb major if wankfest, fast satisfaction

Making melodic motifs between chords, while working towards an apex if music/long satisfaction.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 28, 2013,
Quote by AlanHB
I think the key is really ambiguous. I'd have to listen to it before making a call. I'd guess that the key was Am in the original key and Cm in the new key but it's pretty unclear.

I agree, I really think I'd have to actually hear it to judge which scale/scales to use since we don't know any context other than the actual chords being used in what order. It may likely be a case in which you should use two scales separately... Since your chords don't appear to be in a single specific scale, you should probably play over each chord individually and determine what would sound best melodically over each chord alone. Like how you would use the modes, but you're not gonna stay in the same key for both chords.

I recommend you post a recording of your progression here for us or elsewhere and provide a link, we might be able to help you better!!

If the progression works well then this is one of those interesting cases in music where rules don't necessarily apply and you aren't restricted to a single scale good luck with your songwriting!!
Quote by evhledzep5150
Since your chords don't appear to be in a single specific scale, you should probably play over each chord individually and determine what would sound best melodically over each chord alone. Like how you would use the modes, but you're not gonna stay in the same key for both chords.

Sorry what you're saying makes no sense. All the chords do belong in a single scale, but there's a number of scales that include them, and we can definitely say this has 100% nothing to do with modes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'll say its in Eb, pretty much like everyone else has said. Seeing as you're asking which scale, I'll also assume you haven't been playing for very long therefore the soloing concept is still new to you.

So is it a wankfest like Darren suggests or are you actually going to have something to say in the solo? Whichever one it is, just let your ear guide you instead of your fingers. It'll take a lot of practice but regardless, enjoy.