A CL listing showed up on Christmas Eve for a Fender P Bass and an "electric guitar." The seller was asking $250 a piece. Due to some miscommunication, I missed out on the P bass, which was a '74 in immaculate shape, but ended up with this Ibanez SG copy. I passed initially because I missed out on the bass, but I came to my senses in time to pick it up. The seller actually dropped the price to $170. Doing some brief research, the guitar appears to be an Ibanez 2383. The finish is in fantastic shape with some wear to the gold hardware. I need to replace the strings, and the vibrato arm was not included. Otherwise, I think all parts are original. Curious to know your thoughts on the guitar.

Last edited by oliade677 at Dec 29, 2013,
My thoughts on that guitar are "DAYum, son!"
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not bad. I personally would have passed altogether, a lawsuit with a bolt on neck isn't very desirable.

But if you genuinely enjoy playing it (wait for the honeymoon to end), then of course that's a great price to pay for a guitar you like. Looks amazing from the front to boot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I did think it was odd that a custom SG copy had a bolt-on neck. With that said, the Super 70 pickups seem to be well regarded. I'll be sure to update once I have her restrung.
Quote by oliade677
Minimal wear. I don't believe it was played much.

Fret 2 looks dented to hell. Looks like major fret-wear to me, though it may be the lighting making a tiny dent look massive.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by oliade677
Minimal wear. I don't believe it was played much.

Your second picture shows quite a bit of fret wear, and with the scratches on the pickup covers I'd say this guitar has been played quite a bit. Tell me you didn't buy it with no strings like that and at least made sure it works and is playable. If so, I'd say you did OK with what you paid for it, it does have a cool look to it. Happy ngd
Last edited by dropb81 at Dec 28, 2013,
Bought it with partial strings. The lighting certainly makes the wear appear worse. The third string on the second fret is the worst off, but I don't think I'll have any issues with buzzing. I was pretty pleased with the condition for a 40 year old guitar, though. Again, will update once it is restrung.
Ok, the guitar is strung up. The neck and mid pups are not responding. The wiring near the pots looks fine, but perhaps there is an issue with the wiring from the pups. I'll contact my local tech to see if he can troubleshoot the issue.
You got ripped off. By the time you get the guitar working you’ll have spent enough time and money that you could have bought a nice new Epiphone and slapped on a Bigsby.
The guitar works in the bridge position. The users at Ibanezcollector are suggesting the guitar is worth a lot more than what I paid. I'm pretty sure, as is, this early 70's Custom Ibanez is a heck of a lot better than a new Epiphone.

Whoops! Scratch my prior post. She's screaming! The toggle switch is dirty.
Last edited by oliade677 at Dec 28, 2013,
The guitar is worth more than you paid for it..I'd fix it up,dress the frets and play it to death,
or make a profit selling it! Much better than a Epi..
Thanks Stormy, I'm gonna have my tech look it over. The pots and switches are dirty and will need deoxit at the very least. The pups are definitely functioning. I'm not getting any fret buzz, though I think the action needs to be addressed. The strings were resting against the frets at the set bridge position.
unfortunately, i think you got ripped off... a bolt on sg isnt worth much... but if youre happy with it, happy new guitar day! although i have to ask, if there were some strings on the guitar when you bought it, how were you not able to figure out some of the pickups didnt work?
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
It was a craigslist deal. The seller wasn't a guitar player, but a buyer and reseller. Fortunately, the pups do work though! The toggle switch and pots are just dirty. I found a few old threads on ibanezcollector that tracked the sale of these specific models, both bolt-on and set necks. The price range in '08 was between $1,700 and $2,300. I found one other topic from 2010 where the same model sold for just shy of $1,700. Maybe it was a really hot period, but I can't find any current pricing. The pups are worth around $80-$120 a pop and the original star tuners could fetch $150+. More importantly, I'm very happy with the guitar and do not have any immediate plans to sell it.
Quote by oliade677
It was a craigslist deal. The seller wasn't a guitar player, but a buyer and reseller. Fortunately, the pups do work though! The toggle switch and pots are just dirty. I found a few old threads on ibanezcollector that tracked the sale of these specific models, both bolt-on and set necks. The price range in '08 was between $1,700 and $2,300. I found one other topic from 2010 where the same model sold for just shy of $1,700. Maybe it was a really hot period, but I can't find any current pricing. The pups are worth around $80-$120 a pop and the original star tuners could fetch $150+. More importantly, I'm very happy with the guitar and do not have any immediate plans to sell it.

Your crazy, that is a $200 guitar on a good day. I'm glad you like it and your happy, but to think that they sold for $1700+ is just stupid even a nice set neck lawsuit only fetches $400-$600ish (on a great day)

Your way off on every thing else

I live in the real world, do you have any vacancy in Never-land right now?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
clean it up and play it... looks cool and might be a real player. As for value, what you paid is what its worth. Enjoy your new rig! for that price i would have popped on it too.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Everything I've said is based off of prior sales. I'm not making any of this up. I know it may be hard to believe, it certainly is for me, but there is some legitimacy behind it. Here's some info...

Here's a project 2383 that went for $340. It did not include the pickups, bridge, or Bigsby vibrato, and was refinished. The seller also mentions cracks near the neck and tuners. :

http://item.ebay.com/151077901928

Here are two Super 70 pups for $299. These are from '77. Mine are dated to '74:

http://item.ebay.com/181267844870

Here is a single '74 Super 70 pup for $100:

http://item.ebay.com/171156531706

Here is a set of gold star tuners for $158:

http://item.ebay.com/181239110313

Here is another set for $135:

http://item.ebay.com/400603511709

Here is a topic on ibanezcollector.com where they are discussing the sale of a number of these 2383's in the range of $1,700 to $2,300:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php/topic,14167.30.html
Yea, definitely needs a refret. It seems that the obvious things to check weren't checked which make me question your experience. You even said it hadn't been played much yet it took us, by proxy to tell you that it's gonna cost more than you paid for it to get it playing well.

From $2300 to $200 in a couple of years? Shows you that the market was stupid a few years ago. Either that or we're all missing something here, which is most likely. I don't know enough about them to say what but something is pretty wrong with the comparison between the guitar they're talking about and yours, but it looks like a nice guitar in any case.
I know nothing of these Ibanez Lawsuits but if you want it for yourself anyway who cares?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by oliade677
No, nothing wrong with the comparison. They are discussing the same guitar. You can see another here, second pic on the website:

http://www.ozarkmountainguitars.com/currentgallery.html

I think it's crazy that these guitars sold for $1,700+ at one point, but I'm also certain it's worth more than $200. The components alone are worth more.

They really are not. You have to understand Ibanez was cheap crap in the 1970's. yes there are some nice ones if you can find them, but they were basically what Squier's are today. There were way more bad than good guitars from them.

The few links that you posted were insane prices for that stuff.

I think you paid a fair price for what you have, but anyone with a little guitar knowledge would not pay the prices in those links.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with most everyone else. That guitar looks amazing, but I'm an SG fan. I would have definitely paid 170 for it. But not much more. More than 200 for a project guitar scares me too much. I hope its worth what you say, otherwise. Play the heck out of it.
Do you have any experience with them, Robb? Everything I've read about these pre-lawsuit Ibanez guitars has been positive. In fact, I've read a number of topics discussing how these Japanese clones were built better than the Gibson USA counter parts. Apparently, the 70's SGs aren't as highly regarded as those built in the 60's. Hell, Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys plays a white Ibanez SG. They must've been doing something right.

Quote by oliade677
Do you have any experience with them, Robb? Everything I've read about these pre-lawsuit Ibanez guitars has been positive. In fact, I've read a number of topics discussing how these Japanese clones were built better than the Gibson USA counter parts. Apparently, the 70's SGs aren't as highly regarded as those built in the 60's. Hell, Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys plays a white Ibanez SG. They must've been doing something right.

Dan has a lot of work done to all of his guitars. Complete neck resets, custom wound pickups, special made trems. Nobody is trying to bash you, that guitar looks awesome, but it might be a lot of work to get it perfect. Trust me when I say were happy for you.
Yes I have played more than a few.

Those in the pic's are the set-neck ones which are of a better quality than the bolt-on. I have never heard that the 70's Ibanez guitars were better than Gibson. They were cheap alternatives to buying a Gibson that had the looks. But for the most part they were exactly what you would expect from a cheap guitar.

I'm not slamming you at all (sorry if I came across that way) but I just want to pass on some correct info on them, not just the rumor that "they are lawsuit because Gibson sued them because they were better guitars". Like I said I think you paid a fair price for what you have and if you like it that is what really counts.

Look at the Sanox in my profile pics,that is a mid/late 70's LP clone. It is a bolt-on, but it plays really well, so well that I have had it re-fretted. From my research I think it may have been made by Matsumoku but I can confirm this because the info is just too hard to find. I still play this guitar a lot live and I have way better guitars, but it just feels nice. It even has a plywood cap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 29, 2013,
I do appreciate the feedback. I'll talk to my local tech, see what he thinks about the guitar and go from there. I'm considering listing it on Ebay with a Best Offer option just to see what kind of interest it generates.
being an old geezer i was around back in the 70s and started to play in the late 70s. I played many of those guitars and yes many were crap. now some of the set neck ibbys are very nice and of surprisingly good quality. better than a Gibson well not really but good enough that many players started to take Japanese made guitars seriously which did start to cut into fender and gibsons profits. my first "good" guitar was an Ibanez strat copy and it was a pretty good guitar (wish I still had it). the whole "lawsuit" thing has been turned into a selling gimmick for any 70s made Japanese copy guitars with little bearing on quality or whether it actually is as promote. if you like the guitar then enjoy, that is what counts
Quote by monwobobbo
being an old geezer i was around back in the 70s and started to play in the late 70s. I played many of those guitars and yes many were crap. now some of the set neck ibbys are very nice and of surprisingly good quality. better than a Gibson well not really but good enough that many players started to take Japanese made guitars seriously which did start to cut into fender and gibsons profits. my first "good" guitar was an Ibanez strat copy and it was a pretty good guitar (wish I still had it). the whole "lawsuit" thing has been turned into a selling gimmick for any 70s made Japanese copy guitars with little bearing on quality or whether it actually is as promote. if you like the guitar then enjoy, that is what counts

Thanks mon. I do love the look of the guitar. I applied deoxit to the switch and pots this afternoon. There is minor crackling when adjusting the volume at low levels, but she's working great otherwise.
Quote by oliade677
Thanks mon. I do love the look of the guitar. I applied deoxit to the switch and pots this afternoon. There is minor crackling when adjusting the volume at low levels, but she's working great otherwise.

from the pics it does look pretty sharp. not really the point. don't get carried away with the whole value thing. I kinda doubt you could get the huge money for it. you din't get the deal of the century on it but didn't get screwed either. buy to play and enjoy.