So I've been listening to a lot of progressive music lately and one song in particular had a short bluegrass section which was just ****ing awesome. I'd never really properly listened to bluegrass music up until then and i really enjoy playing it. Does anyone have any good recommendations for songs or artists to check out?

The song that got me intrigued was 1:50 of this song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeM7eaKbak

I figure being pretty much brand new to the genre I'd look for something a bit easier, but I'm up for any suggestions. Anything with similar progressions / style would be awesome to check out.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 28, 2013,
Well, it's guite a large genre... And encompasses "old-time" string-band music, the Bill-Monroe invented and influenced "classic" material, the "newgrass" movement, and now we have avant-gard stuff that's borrowing from jazz and other forms.

So, a lot you can listen to.

If you want to start out with the birth of Bluegrass, check out Bill Monroe, his sidemen that went out on their own, Flatt and Scruggs, and the many artists that were directly influenced by this sound.
The name is actually extracted from the name of Monroe's band, The BlueGrass Boys....

You can save a lot of time by going out and buying the first Will The Circle Be Unbroken album. This features many of the greats, Watson, Scruggs, Monroe, and more playing with the more modern kiddies from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Some truly great playing and a good sampling of everything from the old-time to the newgrass.
I have nothing to add but that song is, indeed, ****ing awesome to say the least. The album version with all the voices and stuff on the background is even better. How can one even come up with that, haha..
baab
Quote by Bikewer
Well, it's guite a large genre... And encompasses "old-time" string-band music, the Bill-Monroe invented and influenced "classic" material, the "newgrass" movement, and now we have avant-gard stuff that's borrowing from jazz and other forms.

So, a lot you can listen to.

If you want to start out with the birth of Bluegrass, check out Bill Monroe, his sidemen that went out on their own, Flatt and Scruggs, and the many artists that were directly influenced by this sound.
The name is actually extracted from the name of Monroe's band, The BlueGrass Boys....

You can save a lot of time by going out and buying the first Will The Circle Be Unbroken album. This features many of the greats, Watson, Scruggs, Monroe, and more playing with the more modern kiddies from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Some truly great playing and a good sampling of everything from the old-time to the newgrass.

I really appreciate the advice man. I'll check what you mentioned out now.

Quote by My Last Words
I have nothing to add but that song is, indeed, ****ing awesome to say the least. The album version with all the voices and stuff on the background is even better. How can one even come up with that, haha..

I actually think the live version is better (as i do with all their songs). Needless to say though it is indeed amazing. It's a shame they didn't play this song when i saw them a few months ago
Quote by vayne92
I really appreciate the advice man. I'll check what you mentioned out now.

I actually think the live version is better (as i do with all their songs). Needless to say though it is indeed amazing. It's a shame they didn't play this song when i saw them a few months ago

Oh well, at least you've seen them.
baab