Hi,

I've played for around 15 years now - primarily electric - but have always thrown in some acoustic practice every now and then.

When I first learned, I started off with a typical nylon guitar, some 3/4 kids sized one. I then got a dreadnaught acoustic 9- 10 yrs ago, nothing amazing - £100 range.

However I haven't upgraded since.

With the acoustic side of things - I'm mostly interested in classical pieces - so I assume it would make most sense to invest in a Classical guitar for the tone.

I'm looking at spending around £200 - 300 but I'm unsure whether it's even worth the upgrade. With electric guitars, I know a £200 difference can be huge, but with many classical prices reaching up to £5000 on street retailer sites, I'm a little unsure whether to buy or not.

If so, are there any 'go-to' guitars which would easily be found online in this price range?
You're talking about 500 bucks American, and you should be able to get a good, playable instrument that's a considerable upgrade for that much.

I just bought a used Takamine solid-top model that would normally retail for about 300 bucks; a nice little guitar.
Here's the Guitar Center page of nylon-string instruments in the 300-500 dollar range.... There are almost 100 of 'em.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nylon-String---Classical-Guitar-Guitar.gc?extup=300-500&ipp=25
Quote by Bikewer
You're talking about 500 bucks American, and you should be able to get a good, playable instrument that's a considerable upgrade for that much.

I just bought a used Takamine solid-top model that would normally retail for about 300 bucks; a nice little guitar.
Here's the Guitar Center page of nylon-string instruments in the 300-500 dollar range.... There are almost 100 of 'em.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nylon-String---Classical-Guitar-Guitar.gc?extup=300-500&ipp=25

Thanks for the link, I'm looking at a few now and notice the majority of the Cut-Away ones are also electric.

Would you recommend getting a cut-away? I like the aesthetics of it but not fussed about the electric side of things. Would a cut-away have a worse tone than a regular classical?
Quote by Nemm
. . . . . Would a cut-away have a worse tone than a regular classical?

No difference - at least none that I can detect.
The effect, if any, is generally regarded as minimal. Cutaway or no depends entirely on the degree to which you play the upper frets.
I've had a couple and found that for the type of playing I do I rarely had any reason to take advantage of the extra reach.
Quote by Bikewer
The effect, if any, is generally regarded as minimal. Cutaway or no depends entirely on the degree to which you play the upper frets.
I've had a couple and found that for the type of playing I do I rarely had any reason to take advantage of the extra reach.

Thanks for all the help, at the moment I'm looking at a Ortega RCE158SN but will do some more looking around before buying.
I think the best choiceis a classical guitar. I am from Spain but now I am living in Finland and when I was 4 years old my father bought my first classical guitar.
I have 6 classical spanish guitar and only 1 acoustic guitar, I prefer the classical sound (maybe cause I am from sevilla).
Anyway you can ask in:

www.flamencoguitarstore.com

They speak english and they are the cheaper shop guitar online in europe.