Were they pushing certain fields (engineering/medicine) on you? Or did they tell you to do whatever you want,even if it meant being a philosophy major?

And if not your parents,was there anyone else who was a big influence on your choices?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
My mom would have killed me if I had studied something like Philosophy, or Psychology, or Economics.
Quote by Philip_pepper
My mom would have killed me if I had studied something like Philosophy, or Psychology, or Economics.

Are you my daddy?
They did not. They wanted me to study IT, I'm studying translatology.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Not at all. When I was 11 I had to convince my parents to let me go to the highest level of schooling here even though my grades were great and the teachers said I could easily handle it, just because my sister had ****ed up the middle level badly.
After that I choose my own university major, master and currently I am in an MPhil/PhD program and set for a carreer in research on a university.

I don't even know what kind of carreer my parents would have wanted for me.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by intwernet
They did not. They wanted me to study IT, I'm studying translatology.

Do you do this because it would be the only job on the enterprise that you can handle?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The only thing that influence my choice was innate laziness. I picked what I thought would require the least effort.
Quote by Philip_pepper

What are you studying now?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
It was basically studying engineering, dentistry or medicine or be disowned and I have the impression they're good degrees to have. My uncles are engineers and they earn a shit tonne [civil engineer/mechanical engineer] and my dad's a doctor and so is my sister. Cousin's a dentist and he earns well too - he's got a nice Audi.

Basically, engineering on my mum's side and medicine/dentristy on my dad's. The split comes to our family. My sister's a doctor like I said and I'm going to be studying chemical engineering [got 2 offers from Leeds and Nottingham so far ] with hopes of becoming a petroleum engineer. Heard ChemEng has the hardest maths of all engineering degrees. Thank goodness I like maths then.

But yeah, they would have got rid of me if I decided to study music or philosophy or history of art or something. I suppose it's good that I don't want to do degrees in those!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Dec 28, 2013,
Quote by Philip_pepper
Is your daddy in jail? Cuz if I was your daddy, I'd be in jail.

I don't know that's why i'm asking, have you seen him?
My mom always slightly encouraged me to study medicine but made it clear that I should make the decision myself.

My dad half-jokingly said he'd disown me if I decided to be a news reporter and always hoped I wouldn't study Philosophy, Sociology and the likes. Never really caused me any problems since I'm about as fond of studying those fields as he is.

Ended up studying Chemistry, currently in my first year. Except for Maths and Physics which can be a pain in the ass due to their difficulty, I'm pretty damn happy with my choice.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
My parents basically said do what you want as long as you have a plan and know what you're getting into.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
They influenced me by letting me do what I wanted.

When I got out of art school my Dad got me my first job interview at his employers advertising dept. So I'd say they were excellent to me.
I said I want to do Engineering so I am doing Engineering. Seems to be going well so far.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
They let me do what i wanted, i did what i wanted and now i'm ****ed. Pushy parents are good you'll thank them for wanting the best from you.
Both my parents are technical computer people and I was always into video games. So when I expressed interest at a young age in building gaming PCs and learning to troubleshoot they were very accomodating. Now I'm doing IT jobs for pretty good money and I don't even have my degree yet.

They didn't steer me toward anything but they did facilitate my desire to learn. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that my interests aligned with their interests. If I had been into sports or art they probably wouldn't have been so ready to help me.
Quote by Seref
If I had been into sports or art they probably wouldn't have been so ready to help me.
If they're not going to know anymore than you about the subject, it sounds fair to me. My parents haven't got the first clue about electronic engineering. I can't exactly go to them with questions on transistors and advanced maths and expect much help.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
They basically said, do what you want as long as it pays well and won't bring shame to the famiry.

I chose to study engineering via the process of elimination. I don't have a career in it, though. At least not yet.
It's a bit hard to tell for me because for a long time what I wanted to be just happened to be what my parents wanted, but it seems for them as long as I pursue I high level of education they don't really care.
Got a degree in Archaeology and now I brew beer for a living. My parents had no idea what the **** I was doing at university. Neither do I come to that matter.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
my mom's kinda insane emotionally and my dad is kinda abusive so i think both of those things somewhat helped me think i'd make a good psychologist
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Told me to do what I want, just don't be homeless. I Don't plan on being homeless anyway. I'm now Studying electrical engineering.
Last edited by macashmack at Dec 28, 2013,
I think it's pathetic if parents choose to only pay for your further education if what you want to do is in line with what they want you to do. I'm currently at college for Philosophy and Sociology, next year there'll also be English literature. Neither of them have interest of see the use of these qualifications, but they still respect my choice to study them.

My dad does push me fairly hard to do well in my study though, but that's only because he doesn't want me spending my life in some shitty red brick house with a little 2-door car, working to live and only enjoying myself by going out and getting plastered on weekends. He's lucky in that I don't want that either, would rather not fully settle down until I'm unable to wipe my own arse.

So the answer is not at all, I want to get a TESOL degree and travel and teach, and also to own a little herb/tea shop...
Parents told me to go to their alma mater. Going to their alma mater... hating it, but they don't mind that I'm planning on transferring in the fall.

Their basic opinion is that I'll be successful in what I'm doing, most likely aiming for a monitor engineer/roadie type job (yeah hippy dippy )
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
My mom only influenced me by being whiny about her job, making me want to stay as far from the medical professions as possible.....even if it does pay well (as I found out later). As for further education,

I found out my dad, whom I've never known personally, was a country guitarist.....I now wonder just how different things would have been had he been around....might have been able to do a LOT more musically speaking.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Owenlee55
I think it's pathetic if parents choose to only pay for your further education if what you want to do is in line with what they want you to do. I'm currently at college for Philosophy and Sociology, next year there'll also be English literature. Neither of them have interest of see the use of these qualifications, but they still respect my choice to study them.

My dad does push me fairly hard to do well in my study though, but that's only because he doesn't want me spending my life in some shitty red brick house with a little 2-door car, working to live and only enjoying myself by going out and getting plastered on weekends. He's lucky in that I don't want that either, would rather not fully settle down until I'm unable to wipe my own arse.

So the answer is not at all, I want to get a TESOL degree and travel and teach, and also to own a little herb/tea shop...

They have no interest because there is no use.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I wasn't really pushed at all and I can't really decide between studying Psychology or Music. I once fancied the thought of pursuing a career with bowling, but I dropped that because it will never happen.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I think my dad probably influenced me subconsciously in to not studying certain things. My dad being a doctor having a massive hardon for physics and chemistry wanted me to follow his footsteps when i was like 14/15, and i was never really interested, but he for sure didn't make me any more interested. Other than that my parents didn't really influence me at all. I study psychology right now and it's great
Last edited by vayne92 at Dec 28, 2013,
they basically are like, you have to get a degree, but study what you want. And they're really supportive so it's pretty great.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...