Tinnitus is something I never thought would happen to me. I remember growing up and playing guitars with my best mate at ridiculous volumes, feeling invincible...

But tinnitus has changed my life perhaps for the better. If you want to read more I have written a blog post about my experiences with tinnitus and TRT (tinnitus Retrainment therapy)

http://innerpieces.co.uk/blog/is-there-life-after-tinnitus/

Anyone else had to change their approach to music because of tinnitus?
Well I'm hoping I never get it. But I haven't plugged in my amp in months so it probably won't be soon
I've had it since I was a kid.

Remember the rolls of paper caps for cap guns? I dropped a brick on one and it was loud, so I thought "I wonder what'll happen it I drop a brick on 10".

So I lost my hearing for a day or two, and that was when I was like 6 or so. I always have ringing in my ears, you kind of just get used to it.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I've been diagnosed with it since 16, I think it was due to stress (dark times) it couldn't have been music aeventually itd played with anyone at that stage and was only a bedroom guitarist and never played outrageously.
Anyway all I can say if you learn to ignore it you forget about it. I know it is hard as it's there 24/7 but eventually it gets easier

edit: just read your blog, well done man
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Dec 28, 2013,
I forget i have it most of the time.

Although as a young teenager, when I figured out I had it and that it wouldn't ever go away, it got the best of me and I kind of freaked out.

You get used to it really.

edit:
probably should have read the OP lol
Yep, bodies aren't invincible... In the meantime you could make interesting self-experiments for yourself while you still notice the ringing, like 'What does this album sound like now???'
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I have it. It's nothing that "changes my life" drastically or causes me suffering. I tune it out and then sometimes I'll remember my ears are ringing. Whenever there's something loud going on, I put in my ear plugs.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I have never been diagnosed with tinnitus, but for as long as I can remember, I can always hear a ringing in my ear if I try to listen to it.

I'm still not sure if it's tinnitus or just the ringing sound of silence
Hm, because of this thread and talking with my wife, I've realized that the high pitched whine I always hear when it's silent is actually tinnitus and not just normal.

Thanks for ruining my life, Pit
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by triface
I have never been diagnosed with tinnitus, but for as long as I can remember, I can always hear a ringing in my ear if I try to listen to it.

I'm still not sure if it's tinnitus or just the ringing sound of silence

I guess this is really how I feel.
My God, it's full of stars!
I remember having it as a kid, and not knowing it, but thinking it was cool that I could still hear stuff even when everything was totally silent. Oh man, stuff you thought of as a kid is so funny.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Dec 29, 2013,
Yeah, no biggie. Always wondered why it was easier to sleep with music playing. It turns out it is because it drowns out the damn ringing. Never noticed it considering I have always had it/always remember having it. Didn't know there was a name for it until a few months ago though.

I like the idea of figuring out what the pitch is then using that pitch for tuning.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by captainsnazz
I got it pretty bad from sitting near the air con unit at work for a year

Possible case for a substantial legal claim?
Quote by Dreadnought
the high pitched whine I always hear when it's silent is
Yikes

I thought tinnitus involved more of a shrill, piercing tone.
Quote by DamienEx1021
I like the idea of figuring out what the pitch is then using that pitch for tuning.

It's a nice idea, I wonder if someone has managed it. My tinnitus fluctuates somewhat between white noise and ringing. For about a month I was hearing bird song in my left ear...
Quote by Fordsnack
It's a nice idea, I wonder if someone has managed it. My tinnitus fluctuates somewhat between white noise and ringing. For about a month I was hearing bird song in my left ear...

I'm stuck with the same frequency or same batch of white noise. Depends on the day and the ambiance.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread