I've been on and off searching for an ideal replacement for my little Behringer Guitar Link. So many choices! For a while, I thought the Scarlett 2i4 was the way to go, but are several confusing points... first off, these are the options inside my budget (200$):

- Scarlett 2i4: 188$
- Scarlett 2i2 w/studio bundle (mic and headphones): 250$
- Scarlett 6i6: 250$
- Steinberg UR22: 150$
- Presonus Audiobox w/studio bundle (mic and headphones): 200$

And here's the situation: it's mainly for recording guitar (LTD EC-100) and bass (Yamaha TRBX 174), and later metal vocals. I need the interface to have no problems with clipping with the guitar and bass.

The studio bundles are pretty good value for the money (and they include the mic already!) but such things as bus-powered vs power adapter and differences in headroom still confuse me as hell.

Anyone care to suggest something? I've already been to the recording sticky, that's where I got the idea for the 2i4... I just wanted input from more people.

Cheers!
^That. I've tried recording DI without using the pads on my 2i4 (essentially mimicking a 2i2) and I could not get it to work without clipping. So unless you want to be micing everything then the 2i2 isn't much use to you.

The Scarlett interfaces have much better preamps and converters than the Presonus, so unless you need the included mic and headphones under the budget then you're better off getting a standalone interface than the Presonus pack.

The 6i6 has 4 line inputs, which is cool if you want to add some external mic preamps or something later but probably not much use (6 inputs is more than you need for vocals, guitars, bass, etc. but barely enough for a full drum kit).

I have no real experience with the Steinberg so I can't really comment.
Btw how come they clip with guitar inputs?

I mean I have push/pull pads on my m-audio interface, but I do not come anywhere near clipping without the pads engaged, with the pads I can probably not even let it clip even when I boost the pre-amp to max.

I used dimarzio pups from the high gain section, seymour duncan invaders (these do clip on the same settings as my dimarzios, but can easily stay under it) and tried with Emgs.

Basically can go to 3 quarters on the knob before it clips.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 28, 2013,
The Focusrite pre's are very sensitive, it's impart why they sound so great. I find passive guitar pups tend to be fine, but my EMG's clip my Saffire 6 pretty hard.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The Focusrite pre's are very sensitive, it's impart why they sound so great. I find passive guitar pups tend to be fine, but my EMG's clip my Saffire 6 pretty hard.

Ah I didn't know quality relates to less headroom. The things u learn

Could you point me to somewhere on the science behind this perhaps? Much appreciated

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Of which part? The pre's or the pad?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Of which part? The pre's or the pad?

The pres

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??