Hi all just received an Harley Benton PB 20 BK for xmas, never played an instrument before so any Ideas where to start?
You could get a bass book. I've got the Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition (it was my Christmas present) and it's pretty good stuff, at least IMO. And I usually have pretty strong opinions about how something should/shouldn't be taught. It has three books in it - books 1, 2 and 3 which are beginner, intermediate and a bit more advanced stuff - so it'll be useful even after you have learned the basics.

(The good thing I noticed was that it doesn't make you learn all the scale shapes and all that BS immediately. It only teaches them later when you already can use the notes. Also it teaches you to read notation, not just tabs. And that's a good skill to have.)

And of course just learn songs that you like. Many basic rock songs are pretty simple. If you want really simple, AC/DC songs are usually pretty easy (most of the time they are just constant 8th single note lines). To make them feel more interesting to play, play over the song. That way you can just jam with your favorite artists and even simple stuff sounds good.

Remember to learn to use your ears. A good ear is the best skill a musician can have. Don't rely 100% on tabs. Using tabs does improve your technique as much as learning the songs by ear does but what do you do with technique if you don't know how to use them in your own songs? That's why you need a good ear. And to improve your ear, you could just try learning songs by ear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 28, 2013,
I will second the Hal Leonard books. They also come with great CDs to play along with.

There are also some good DVDs out there for beginners (if you are a more visual learner). Though I am not a huge fan of his, Billy Sheehan has a good beginner DVD that will get you well along the way.

And welcome to the low end. Its never to late to join the thundering army of bass players!
Basic books, scales, and basic chord forms are a great place to start. You can find the scale patterns and chord forms online while you are waiting to get your book. It would also be of great help to learn all of the notes on your fretboard.

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/bass-scales/

http://www.harlanterson.com/chordshapes.htm

http://www.studybass.com/
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Hey

As the others said, you can use some books for beginners.

When i started, i try to play some easy songs like :

- Never there (Cake)
- Nuthin But A G Thang (Dr Dre)
- Natural's not in it (Gang of Four)

Some ideas ^^
Good luck
Lick Library have got some good DVD's.

I have mixed feelings on a noob just learning scales at the start. While i agree it is, of course, a solid foundation for any instrument, the bass is one of the instruments where you can start playing some really basic songs right off the bat. You are still learning technique but having fun at the same time. Do a bit of both, but definitely play some songs. That's what it's all about, after all.
Oh, and don't learn to slap like flea! It will take you ages to correct it once you want to advance and play a proper thumb technique! Trust me
Quote by Applehead
Lick Library have got some good DVD's.

I have mixed feelings on a noob just learning scales at the start. While i agree it is, of course, a solid foundation for any instrument, the bass is one of the instruments where you can start playing some really basic songs right off the bat. You are still learning technique but having fun at the same time. Do a bit of both, but definitely play some songs. That's what it's all about, after all.

That's why I suggested the Hal Leonard book. It doesn't even talk about scales in the beginning. And it doesn't teach the boxes (it does talk about them a bit but it doesn't really focus on them). It teaches the notes in the scales and it teaches notes on the fretboard. Box shapes are something many people get stuck with and they usually want to be able to play outside of the box (literally). If you just learn all notes on the fretboard, you never need to learn the boxes because you know what notes are in which scale and you know the notes on the fretboard. There are your scales. And you know them all over the fretboard if you know all notes on the fretboard and all notes in the scales.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've been playing for about 7 years bass now and i havent read a single book in my short career. IMO just playing songs is the best learning along with videos, because they are alot more informational than just plain text.

Songs i recommend
AD/DC-> anything from them is a good start
Metallica- For whom the bell tolls (my first song i learned)
Red hot chili peppers - Snow (Hey oh), simple and fun song to learn, may take some practice but definitely will teach you alot
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by Gessu
I've been playing for about 7 years bass now and i havent read a single book in my short career. IMO just playing songs is the best learning along with videos, because they are alot more informational than just plain text.

Songs i recommend
AD/DC-> anything from them is a good start
Metallica- For whom the bell tolls (my first song i learned)
Red hot chili peppers - Snow (Hey oh), simple and fun song to learn, may take some practice but definitely will teach you alot

That doesn't mean a book couldn't also help. Of course you should also learn songs. I think learning to play your favorite songs/good music is usually one of the main reasons why you start playing.

But the good thing in a book is that it has everything in order. You don't need to search for any information and you learn things in a good order. If you are talking about Youtube videos, their quality can vary a lot. And you may not find what you are looking for. But of course if you need more information about something, watching videos may help.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115