I've heard a torn speaker can make for a nasty, raunchy fuzz tone which seems appealing to me. In someone else's thread I was informed (by a ug'er I respect) the Kinks did this. I love the kinks, have the day off, a spare speaker, a boxcutter and just pulled the speaker outta my 112 cab.

Where do I poke the holes? How many?

I've tried google but it just made me more apprehensive. Some people say its just a myth and doesn't work. I am gonna try, I'm not at all worried about destroying the speaker. But does anyone have experience with this?

Edit: Oh shit, just realized gg&a may be the wrong forum. I just read a lot of these guys' posts so I trust them more than google. I'll move if necessary.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 28, 2013,
I'd imagine there isn't really an art to it and its kinda trial and error until you get a speaker that sounds "decent".
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I was kinda thinking that and that's what I'll do but any advice is appreciated.

First stab in the outer or inner cone? What ya think?

Edit: Well, not so good. I poked a hole near the outside rim of the cone and maybe shoulda kept poking there. Instead the next hole I poked was along the inside rim of the cone and now I think I've gone too far. Now the speaker sounds like muffled squawk and is completely useless.

Oh well, worth a shot I guess. At least it was close enough to try again.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 28, 2013,