So, I got an email from a guy on CL wanting to trade a cheaper Ibanez for a Digitech RP12 I had listed. I figured "Why the hell not!?" If anything, the guitar is probably worth more... right?

Well, upon looking at the pictures, I was quite intrigued by the finish, so I met up with him today to do the trade. To be honest, there were some fishy things about the guitar (more on that later), but honestly... who makes a fake of an entry-level Ibanez? Even if it is fake, I don't really care... it'll sure look cool hanging on my wall!

Here's where things get strange - There's no visible serial number on the back (perhaps it's been faded off, looks like there could be a little evidence of that there, who knows?). The guitar also doesn't have branded pickups (obviously, they could've been switched out). He said that he got it from a guy who bought it in Europe. Supposedly the finish is a limited factory run, 1 of 1000, that never made it to the US. He said it has a Lo-TRS II. I haven't been able to find any info on it, but I don't really care, TBH. It looks badass. That's all that matters, LOL!

It definitely needs a setup, but I'm just excited to finally have an Ibanez around again. It'll look pretty hanging on my studio's wall, if I don't end up liking it. One thing's for sure... it's a HEAVY sucker... Interesting, as I don't remember any RG I've owned before being quite this heavy. Oh wells... looks pretty

P.S. My apologies for the slightly blurry pictures, I forgot to change the shutter speed after switching out the lens on my camera, so there's a little blur when it's zoomed in past 125mm.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm not sure that I'd interpret that red spatter finish as blood (there are some pretty realistic blood spatter pattern guitars out there), but I can get that a metallista would lean that direction <G>.

I doubt this is a "fake", but it's worth noting that there are a surprising number of Ibanez' out there that never left the factory. Here in LA there are at least two "artist custom shops" that build Ibanez, ostensibly under license by Ibanez for the various artists that endorse them, and there are others throughout the country. Decals and a few bits of hardware come from Ibanez itself, and there are templates and color specs available. The rest is between the artist and the builder (though Ibanez asks that the result more or less look like a "stock" guitar). Thus, I've seen multi-string guitars that Ibanez never produced, neck-through guitars based on bolt neck production units, etc.
Good trade, an extra axe is always nice to have. Yeah weird, you can see where the serial number used to be right under where the model number is. Looks like it was rubbed out.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that I'd interpret that red spatter finish as blood (there are some pretty realistic blood spatter pattern guitars out there), but I can get that a metallista would lean that direction <G>.

Ah, well I forgot to mention that the guy said the finish is called "Blood Splatter" Having seen other "blood splatter" guitars, I definitely wouldn't think this was one either, aside from the guy telling me that.

Quote by dspellman
I doubt this is a "fake", but it's worth noting that there are a surprising number of Ibanez' out there that never left the factory. Here in LA there are at least two "artist custom shops" that build Ibanez, ostensibly under license by Ibanez for the various artists that endorse them, and there are others throughout the country. Decals and a few bits of hardware come from Ibanez itself, and there are templates and color specs available. The rest is between the artist and the builder (though Ibanez asks that the result more or less look like a "stock" guitar). Thus, I've seen multi-string guitars that Ibanez never produced, neck-through guitars based on bolt neck production units, etc.

Interesting. Do you have a source on this? I've seen the Custom Shop guitars, that are (to my knowledge), no longer built, and I'm also aware of the LA Custom Shop (LACS), that is only available to endorsed artists. Is that what you're talking about?

I highly doubt this is a LACS, if so... I mean... who makes a custom shop RG320?

Quote by Blackfire.
Good trade, an extra axe is always nice to have. Yeah weird, you can see where the serial number used to be right under where the model number is. Looks like it was rubbed out.

Yep. Always a big red flag to me when something like that shows up, but hey, I don't really have much to lose. The pedal I traded was given to me for free, not like I'm losing money, either way
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yep. Always a big red flag to me when something like that shows up, but hey, I don't really have much to lose. The pedal I traded was given to me for free, not like I'm losing money, either way

I would have done the same thing, I'm not too much of a multi-fx pedal person. How does she play?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
HNCGD.

Hopefully you can get the set-up worth keeping it around.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Blackfire.
I would have done the same thing, I'm not too much of a multi-fx pedal person. How does she play?

I was actually really surprised by the RP12. I've never been huge on multifx or Digitech for that matter... but that thing actually sounded surprisingly great.

No matter, I rarely use effects, so it didn't get used much either way

Quote by R45VT
HNCGD.

Hopefully you can get the set-up worth keeping it around.

Yeah, think I'm gonna play with it tonight and see what I can do. Really, the setup isn't bad, per se... it's more than it's completely out of tune right now, so I can't even play it, and being that it has a trem on it, it's not as easy as just tuning it up.

Good thing I've had plenty of Ibanezs and other FR equipped guitars in the past. I've got more experience setting them up than stop-tails
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
From what I know of the Lo-TRS I/II it's effectively and older Ibanez design that ended up being similar to the Edge III (that is to say, awful) which we have today. Pretty sure the LoTRS is a direct swap for an OFR though.

Happy NGD all the same
Quote by telemetal
From what I know of the Lo-TRS I/II it's effectively and older Ibanez design that ended up being similar to the Edge III (that is to say, awful) which we have today. Pretty sure the LoTRS is a direct swap for an OFR though.

Happy NGD all the same

Yep, I was just going to block it, but now that I know it's a Lo-TRS II, if I end up liking the guitar, I might just put an OFR in it.

Also - scratch what I said about the setup being decent... didn't notice the strings are strung the wrong way
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yep, I was just going to block it, but now that I know it's a Lo-TRS II, if I end up liking the guitar, I might just put an OFR in it.

Also - scratch what I said about the setup being decent... didn't notice the strings are strung the wrong way

Lol now that you pointed it out, I didn't even bother to check..wtf were they thinking
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
Lol now that you pointed it out, I didn't even bother to check..wtf were they thinking

I dunno... first time I've seen that....
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Every player likes a different set-up and feel. At least you'll have new strings when you finish tweaking it to your feel. I can't believe the last guys put them the wrong way. At least they are all the same direction.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Ok, that is definitely not a Lo-TRS II. That is an Edge III. I have a Korean RG320QS with the Lo-TRS II and it is way more blocky like an OFR, rather than smooth and curved like your is.

This guitar is interesting, because the RG320 was revised in 2005, yet your guitar has a combination of features from the 2004 versions and the 2005 versions.

From the 2004, you have your 1 piece neck and your powersound pickups, and from 2005 you have the Edge III.

I have never read anything about this finish and I can't find anything out about it. I think it's probably homemade. The lack of serial number and country of origin is really strange. It very well could be a factory one off.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 29, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
Every player likes a different set-up and feel. At least you'll have new strings when you finish tweaking it to your feel. I can't believe the last guys put them the wrong way. At least they are all the same direction.

Man... now I know why I had a guitar with a cheap floyd on it once and never bought another one again.

Been trying to set this thing up for like 2 hours and it will not stay in tune to save its life. Was finally getting close and then I broke the freaking B string and gave up Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

Quote by Offworld92
Ok, that is definitely not a Lo-TRS II. That is an Edge III. I have a Korean RG320QS with the Lo-TRS II and it is way more blocky like an OFR, rather than smooth and curved like your is.

This guitar is interesting, because the RG320 was revised in 2005, yet your guitar has a combination of features from the 2004 versions and the 2005 versions.

From the 2004, you have your 1 piece neck and your powersound pickups, and from 2005 you have the Edge III.

I have never read anything about this finish and I can't find anything out about it. I think it's probably homemade. The lack of serial number and country of origin is really strange. It very well could be a factory one off.

Interesting.

If it IS a homemade finish, it's a DAMN good one. This was done by a professional, no doubt. The finish on feels higher quality than any RG320 I've ever seen.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Man... now I know why I had a guitar with a cheap floyd on it once and never bought another one again.

Been trying to set this thing up for like 2 hours and it will not stay in tune to save its life. Was finally getting close and then I broke the freaking B string and gave up Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

Interesting.

If it IS a homemade finish, it's a DAMN good one. This was done by a professional, no doubt. The finish on feels higher quality than any RG320 I've ever seen.

Next time, replace one string at a time.
I had an old Luthier friend tell me that about changing strings on floating bridges and its been a piece of cake every time.
Quote by CodeMonk
Next time, replace one string at a time.
I had an old Luthier friend tell me that about changing strings on floating bridges and its been a piece of cake every time.

I would've, if it was even anywhere close to in tune before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
C'mon you are all acting like the missing serial is a big mystery.

It's not, it's stolen.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

It's not, it's stolen.

+1
This is my first thought, but who knows.

It looks like a nice guitar. Good luck with the set-up, that may be why the owner got rid of it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
derek the interesting thing to me is the weight.

basswood RG's aren't historically heavy guitars. so if it is a custom job for someone at one point they may have specified a certain type of body wood other than basswood.

can you get a look at any wood in control cavities? any way to see if there is mahogany or ash under that finish?

cool finish btw!

i had an old RG with the body handle like a jem but it wasn't a jem. it was a legit ibby, an RG5?? from way back in the late 80s. years later i told a ibanez rep about it and he said that guitar never existed. that the only guitars that got handles were jems. i always figured he just didn't know what he was talking about, maybe another one of these oddballs?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Offworld92
Ok, that is definitely not a Lo-TRS II.

+1

I'd prefer closer up pics, but that doesn't look like a lo-trs to me. the sustain block looks different, too.
it may well be an edge III as you said, i'm not too familiar with it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911

It's not, it's stolen.

Honestly, that was my first thought, as well. Who knows, TBH. The text on thetop side of the headstock is pretty worn, and so is the model number on the back. I guess its possible it was just worn off somehow, but there's no way to really tell. I thought it looked like the serial was scratched off, but under further inspection, that seems to just be the wood grain. Hmm...

No way to look at the body wood, the whole guitar is covered in paint in the cavities.

I'm thinking I might just shove some wood around the trem. I could honestly care less about using a cheap Ibanez bridge. I think I'd rather just convert it at this point. Maybe just keep it dive-only. I've never used trems on other guitars I've owned much. Only real benefit to me was tuning stability, once it was all setup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i think it looks cool. a bit morbid, but cool.

i think overall it looks good and the wood grain looks good on the neck, but i can clearly see that joint where they glued the headstock on to the neck, making it obvious that it is 2 peices of wood.

i know probably 90% of guitars have something like this going on, but to visibly see it irks me pretty bad.

then again, depends on the price you pay. my Walden acoustic has this. but it is has solid 1 peices soundboard, for 375, that is hard to come by. i suppose i can live with a neck joint.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^Doesn't bother me at all. Lots of guitars are like that, including many high end instruments. That being said, this is an entry level Ibanez, that I essentially paid nothing for. Not really anything to get worked up over... Plus, its on the back of the necks, so the only one who would see it is you
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ikey_

i think overall it looks good and the wood grain looks good on the neck, but i can clearly see that joint where they glued the headstock on to the neck, making it obvious that it is 2 peices of wood.

I really like the look of scarf joints...

What do you mean when you say the strings are on backwards? Did he put the low E where the high E should go? I can't see anything from the pictures, and I'm intrigued.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Nice pickup! For being an oddball finish it looks pretty good

Have you looked at the control cavity yet? You might find a batch number on the control pots and get a ballpark estimate of when it was built.

EDIT: A mod posted a thread in the wrong forum?!
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I really like the look of scarf joints...

What do you mean when you say the strings are on backwards? Did he put the low E where the high E should go? I can't see anything from the pictures, and I'm intrigued.

Look at the picture of the headstock, the strings were wound in backwards

Quote by Flux'D
Nice pickup! For being an oddball finish it looks pretty good

Have you looked at the control cavity yet? You might find a batch number on the control pots and get a ballpark estimate of when it was built.

EDIT: A mod posted a thread in the wrong forum?!

Yeah, there's nothing that really stands out on it. I'll check again tomorrow!

Yep - I always post NGDs in GG&A
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Look at the picture of the headstock, the strings were wound in backwards

Oh, I see it now. That would drive me crazy.

Let us know how it plays once you have it set up!
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by MatrixClaw

Then it's the Edge III for sure haha.