let's take a repeating lick like this in sixteenth notes, so played pretty fast

e--15p12------- 15p12-----------15p12---
b------------12--------------12-----------------12

do you hold the the 12th fret on the b string the entire time playing this repeating lick or do you only press the 12th fret when its time to play and lift it off immediately?

if you play it like the first method the notes ring out together whereas the second method the b note is more clear

if the note was 13 instead of 12 on the b string i can plant the 12th fret on the e string and use my second finger to hammer out the note and lift it up pretty easily, whereas if it was on the 12th fret it would be more difficult
Last edited by musicandthewave at Dec 28, 2013,
Quote by Random3
Not necessarily, you can deaden the B string with your picking hand after playing the note.

that helped a lot, thanks
I'd roll my left index finger on the twelfth fret. The action does not have to be big; just big enough to get your index finger to be on the B string, but not actually fretting it.
Quote by triface
I'd roll my left index finger on the twelfth fret. The action does not have to be big; just big enough to get your index finger to be on the B string, but not actually fretting it.

^This. Basically what people do when sweep picking. Make a little "bar" on the 2 strings, and then roll your finger onto the B string so you're pressing the B string, and muting the E string, with the index finger. then deaden the B string and apply pressure to the E string for the pull off.