So I've been looking into the more technical side of guitar playing this month and the action and truss rod is where I'm a tad unsure.

I feel like my guitar has a case of bow, as the strings over the 12th fret onwards are fairly high above the fretboard.

http://i44.tinypic.com/24yz4ie.jpg

^^That's the string height over the 12th fret area.^^

http://i41.tinypic.com/125i74m.jpg

^^This is the string height closer to the nut around the 3rd fret^^

*You can click the images for a bigger picture*

Any advice or opinions really would be appreciated, as I am simply unsure if my guitar is technically set up horribly, or I am just being fussy.

Scared of tightening my truss rod any more, don't want to break it.
Last edited by Wingless18 at Dec 28, 2013,
You don't adjust the height of the strings with the truss rod! You need to see if you've got too much tension on there now since you've been reefing away at it. Fret the Low E @ 1st & 17th fret at the same time and see if there's a small gap between the bottom of the Low E and the 7-9th fret crown .
IF not turn the truss rod counterclockwise till there is one. Then go to your bridge and lower it or saddles individually till the height is where you want it. I think JJ1565 has a sticky thread with more detail. You should read it.
Moving on.....
Ah thank you very much, I found the thread you were referring too, I did check it earlier but no very well obviously :P

I've re-adjusted the truss rod and I'd say it's pretty decent going by that guide (it's not flat and my credit card wont slide under it either)

Annoyingly I dont have a hex key to adjust the bridge >.< so I guess the action will have to wait for now thanks for the quick reply Ken!
I've been using the end of a tremolo spring to adjust the action at the bridge. The spring seems to work pretty good.

Just watch when the winded part comes close to the saddle, you could scratch the top of the chrome if you care.

In the long run it could strip the grub screws I guess...

Works when your in a bind.
Last edited by spicyfourpiece at Dec 28, 2013,
An old trick is to use an American quarter to check the string height at the 12th fret. An American quarter is supposed to be 0.069" thick, which my measurement tools confirm. Slip the quarter between the fret and string at the 12th fret. The string should just about clear the quarter. If so, then your action at the 12th fret is good.

The methods previously suggested for checking neck relief will work fine. The method I use is slightly different, but achieves the same result. As already mentioned, don't try to set string height by adjusting the truss rod. The truss rod should only be adjusted under certain circumstances, and then only in small increments.
Bot reported. On topic, your action in the picture looks high at the 12th fret. Make sure you get the right tool to adjust the bridge height. The last thing you want to do is strip out the screw/bolt head!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by KG6_Steven
An old trick is to use an American quarter to check the string height at the 12th fret. An American quarter is supposed to be 0.069" thick, which my measurement tools confirm. Slip the quarter between the fret and string at the 12th fret. The string should just about clear the quarter. If so, then your action at the 12th fret is good.

That's about 1/16th" (4/64ths") at the 12th fret. That's pretty average/normal.

My old Carvins were guaranteed by Carvin to have action as low as 1/16th" at the 24th with no buzzing frets.
^ I do all the setups on my electrics and acoustics. That's the value I shoot for. Getting the 12th fret to that height makes a very playable guitar.