I have been trying to mic my guitar amp (SM57 and 6505+ 112 with stock speaker), and I'm trying to use the mic placement and amp settings to get the right sound in the room ( as oppose to Eqing it later).

For learning purposes, I tried EQ matching my guitar sound to various guitar tracks (RHCP, metallica, etc.) and I found that my sound has roughly 12db too much in the 750hz -1khz range and 12db too little in the 2.5khz- 9khz range. I found this in ALL of the songs that I EQ matched.

I tried putting the mids at 0, assuming that would solve the first problem, and putting the presence at 10, assuming that this would solve the second problem. However, this didn't do enough.

Does anybody know any mic positions or anything that can solve either of these two problems? Thanks in advance!
There's no shame in EQing tracks later, any professionally recorded band such as chillis or metallica will be EQed, compressed, mixed to ****. If you can nail down your issue so specifically as you have done then you know exactly how to EQ it. Secondly mic placement does take a bit of trial and error but its really not that hard to get the sweet spot, just trust your own ears
Quote by NikZM
There's no shame in EQing tracks later, any professionally recorded band such as chillis or metallica will be EQed, compressed, mixed to ****. If you can nail down your issue so specifically as you have done then you know exactly how to EQ it. Secondly mic placement does take a bit of trial and error but its really not that hard to get the sweet spot, just trust your own ears

That's true, I'm fine with EQing the tracks later, I just think 12 db adjustments are a little bit drastic, especially when I would have to boost high frequencies 12 db. This would probably raise the noise level like crazy. Also , I think it would sound more natural to get at least close before EQing
Quote by offspringfan41
That's true, I'm fine with EQing the tracks later, I just think 12 db adjustments are a little bit drastic, especially when I would have to boost high frequencies 12 db. This would probably raise the noise level like crazy. Also , I think it would sound more natural to get at least close before EQing

12dB is quite a lot. Have you taken into account that the reference songs you're listening to have been mastered aswell, not just mixed?

Chances are it isn't 12dB, however once a song is professionally mastered the volume of the whole track is greatly increased.
So, I assume you're using some sort of spectrum analyzer. Try this - even if just for instructional purposes.

Move the mic around - forward, back; towards the edge of the speaker, towards the dust cap; on axis, off axis, etc. Use your spectrum analyzer to tell you, in a quantifiable way, what the difference is in those positions.

Ex, "As I move the mic away from the dust cap and towards the edge of the speaker, the higher frequencies drop by 6db and the mids increase by 3db..." (or whatever)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.