Page 1 of 3
It seems like mainstream alternative/metal/rock bands start to wane in popularity around 2011 ish, then dubstep got mainstream, then edm followed suit. Even pop/top 40 has electronic beats and less guitar is being used for pop songs. I haven't hear a huge rock hit in a a while, seems like rnb/pop/edm/rap is all most people listen to nowadays.

Seems like most people go to EDM festivals instead of going to shows and concerts.

Please tell me I'm wrong, I hate it if this is the case

during 2000-2010, rap was really popular but at the same time rock was as well. its not like that anymore today for rock
In the mainstream? Band music has been declining ever since Electronic music started becoming feasible in the 70s/80s, so.. 2011 is a bit off.

Though there will always been 'band' music (no matter what a certain person says), there's always going to be people 'keeping it going'.

And anyway, there's quite a big thing on electronic music using 'bands' and real instruments and everything recently anyways. But for the most part, both will always exist.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Avedas
Rock bands are dead and guitar solos aren't cool.

Pretty much this.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Avedas
Rock bands are dead and guitar solos aren't cool.

the second part has been like that for like the last couple of years but rock bands were very much alive in the last decade
like, who cares
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by musicandthewave
the second part has been like that for like the last couple of years but rock bands were very much alive in the last decade

Yeah,i know. Back in the 80's early 90's had stuff like rock and metal music. But it's like the world has gone nuts or something. What happened to people listening to rock music? Seriously something is wrong.
I dunno, I have a love for EDM, but my position as a guitarist definitely sways me towards listening to guitar/rock/drums type music.

Honestly, I listen to a bit of everything from a huge span of decades--jazz, blues, rock, alternative, modernshit.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
We used to have Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now, I'm not sayin' this is Obama's fault, but...
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
The only thing more lame than liking dance music is hanging around a rock guitar forum to talk about it because you have no where else to go.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Dec 29, 2013,
just cuz they're not on pop radio doesn't mean rock music has gone anywhere. everyone I know loves at least some real band music. especially country
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Quote by Wiegenlied
The only thing more lame than liking dance music is hanging around a rock guitar forum to talk about it because you have no where else to go.

Oh snap. Disco>EDM true story brah.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
EDM is pretty cool. "Huge rock hits" aren't much of a thing anymore; they happen, but they have nowhere near the impact as they once had. This primarily because what you are capable of producing that can catch the public's interest has thoroughly been done already.

It's all 'bout 'dem phat beats now.
Not really. A lot of the biggest festivals still feature predominantly rock bands. Guitar is still an incredibly popular instrument. Pure "band" music might be going down in popularity but it's still not overshadowed yet.
I think its all about marketing rather then breaking boundries.

Edit@axelfox name 10 EDM songs anyone will give two ****s about ten years from now. I bet you can't, thus proving disco is the superior genre even though disco is deader than Bob Hope.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Last edited by losing battle at Dec 29, 2013,
God, not this again...

I'm going to blend the two in a fantastic, awesome, sexy new genre.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
God, not this again...

I'm going to blend the two in a fantastic, awesome, sexy new genre.

New New Wave?
Guitar is just an instrument. Playing with people to jam and stuff is fun. Who cares if the rock band dynamic isn't as popular anymore.
Quote by MakinLattes
New New Wave?

They will call it Nu wafe just to piss off the really obscure cat lady who still listens to it.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
It's because no one can match Lil B so they gave up instruments
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Who the hell is lil b? Its a rapper right? I'm old
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by losing battle
They will call it Nu wafe just to piss off the really obscure cat lady who still listens to it.

Nyan waifu ~*
At least that dudes avatar is hot oh and my job pays $150 an hour so ha.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Last edited by losing battle at Dec 29, 2013,
What about IDM? That stuff is friggin cool as well
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
u say metllica, i say SKRILLEX

u say acdc, i say NIFE PARTY

u say led zepplin, i say DEDMOUSE5

90% of 18-25 year olds still listen to DAD ROCK

respost this if ur the 10% who whines about it on a guitar forum instead
Quote by losing battle
I think its all about marketing rather then breaking boundries.

Edit@axelfox name 10 EDM songs anyone will give two ****s about ten years from now. I bet you can't, thus proving disco is the superior genre even though disco is deader than Bob Hope.

Darude- Sandstorm
Daft Punk- Harder Better Faster Stronger, One More Time, Around the World
Eric Pyrdz- Call on Me
Cultue Beat- Mr Vain
Wamdue Project- King of My Castle
Bomfunk MC- Freestyler
Kernkraft 400- Zombie Nation
Ellie Goulding- Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix)

Off the top of my not massively into EDM head.
Because sometimes people want something to dance to. Chugga chugga or weedly weedly guitar isn't that fun to dance to.
Page 1 of 3