Hello. I need some help about this. I want a good metal tone for thrash / death metal. I was looking at Marshall MG101 FX combo or buy a HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion pedal. For a reference point , i would like somethink that sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM ( Amon Amarth - The Pursuit of Vikings). Now, i have a Mustang I.
Fill this out first, to help us help you!

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by adrian.barbu.14
Hello. I need some help about this. I want a good metal tone for thrash / death metal. I was looking at Marshall MG101 FX combo or buy a HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion pedal. For a reference point , i would like somethink that sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM ( Amon Amarth - The Pursuit of Vikings). Now, i have a Mustang I.

Neither of them will be a good choice. Modeling amps don't usually take distortion pedals well and Marshall MG isn't really a great choice for anything. What's your budget and location? Do you also need cleans or just distortion?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hi! I just need distortion. The budget is about 300-400 $. And I play both in small gigs and home and i need some power, more than 50 W
where in the world are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well to start off, wattage and power are unrelated when it comes to tubes. Wattage only refers (how loud it can be before the cleans distort). 50W, especially with distortion, will be plenty.

I assume you live in the USA? If so, you've got a decent used market. You could start off looking at Peavey 6505 combos (Amon Amarth use 6505s), they seem to run for the budget you are suggesting.

I'll leave most of the amp suggestions to other people though.
Trouble is, when it comes to guitar gear, you can't easily compare currencies, as say comparing USA to the UK, the UK is a fair bit more expensive because of the market, nothing to do with currencies as far as I know.

I'd imagine you'd have a hard time with new prices in Romania, and also not much luck with a used market.

What other gear do you have? Guitars, amps etc.
keep in mind that if you look for a tube amp 50 watts is more than enough for small gigs. 30 watts is fine for that or even 15 if you play venues that have a PA so you can mic the amps.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
I have a Jackson DX10 D and a Mustang I . And I think that the peavey is a good choise. There is an ok second hand market here. I will look for it. And i have another question, does the peavey 6505+112(combo) sounds like the 6505+ head ?
Quote by adrian.barbu.14
I have a Jackson DX10 D and a Mustang I . And I think that the peavey is a good choise. There is an ok second hand market here. I will look for it. And i have another question, does the peavey 6505+112(combo) sounds like the 6505+ head ?

I don't know about that but I would guess the amp part is the same. The combo just has a speaker in it and the head is just the amp without a speaker. But sound also depends on the speaker. But if they were played through the same speaker, I would guess they would sound pretty much the same. I mean, why would they both be called 6505+ if they weren't similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXOIhz2mfY

To me sounded pretty similar in the video. The head version had a bit less treble and more bass. But the sound was really similar.

But notice that both amps were played through a Mesa cabinet. The combo has a different speaker so it will sound different. But if played through the same speakers, they would sound really similar as you may notice.

Oh, and the head version is 120 watts and the combo is 60. But both will be really loud.

And I also noticed that the head was the regular 6505, not the 6505+. If they both were 6505+ versions, I'm pretty sure they would sound even more similar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't know about that but I would guess the amp part is the same. The combo just has a speaker in it and the head is just the amp without a speaker. But sound also depends on the speaker. But if they were played through the same speaker, I would guess they would sound pretty much the same. I mean, why would they both be called 6505+ if they weren't similar?

To me sounded pretty similar in the video. The head version had a bit less treble and more bass. But the sound was really similar.

But notice that both amps were played through a Mesa cabinet. The combo has a different speaker so it will sound different. But if played through the same speakers, they would sound really similar as you may notice.

Oh, and the head version is 120 watts and the combo is 60. But both will be really loud.

And I also noticed that the head was the regular 6505, not the 6505+. If they both were 6505+ versions, I'm pretty sure they would sound even more similar.

No the 6505+ head and the 6505+ 1x12 have different circuits. They are very similar in tone, but they are different beyond the output section.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate