Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a cheap interface lately to be able to record my playing. I mainly want to record myself so I can overlay multiple guitar track but also hear out my playing mistakes. My budget for an interface would be 100€ max.

I'd be playing via my Peavey Vypyr 15 and my idea was to record it on my notebook. So technically I don't need any amp-modelling software coming along with the interface.

So far I've found these two options:

the Peavey XPort
and
the Behringer Xenyx 302 USB.

I know Behringer isn't known for high-quality products, but the Xenyx has received some good reviews. Would it do the trick?

Also, the Peavey XPort is very tempting. I've been a long time Peavey fan and have never been disappointed so far. I know the XPort comes along with some modelling software, including the Valve King, which actually is my main amp. Would I still be able to plug in my amp into the XPort and record it?

Any opinionsor suggestions would be great!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Dec 29, 2013,
Doesn't the Vypyr have in-built USB functionality?

That would be just as good as either of the interfaces you linked to.

For advice on anything better, go read the sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, at least the Vypyr 15 has no USB functionality.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
The 15 doesn't have USB. Don't get either of those things, get an actual dedicated audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or M Audio Fast Track.

Does the Vypr have an output to send to a mixer/interface? If not you'll need a microphone.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_mb75.htm

That's a relatively cheap microphone that's modeled off an SM57, which is an instrument mic which is exceptionally good for recording guitar.
Well, the Vypyr 15 has a "head phones / record output". It's basically a 3,5mm jack. Nothing spectacular. As I said, I don't want to record a professional album with it. Thus the cheap interfaces.

The focusrite would be a little bit above my budget, but I'd be willing to save for it if it gets the job done. One more question to help me decide: My main amp is the Peavey Valve King 112. Would I be able to record its sound using said interface directly via cable? It has a external speaker output; could I connect it to the focusrite for recording?

Thanks a lot so far!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
No - the external speaker output is different to the output on your Vypyr, it is purely just for an external speaker.

If you really want the actual sound of your amp, you'd need to mic it anyway - otherwise you aren't getting the true sound of your amp played through it's speaker.

The best option would be to keep saving until you can afford one of the recommended interfaces or multitrackers in the sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay, thanks. I'll probably start saving for either of the focusrites. Thing is, recording via microphone isn't really an option, since I'm without a rehearsal room since august (my band seperated) and turning my Valve Kings volume up isn't quite the option since I'm living in a flat.

Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpfull!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Plus, Vypyrs sound like ass through the headphone out.

Get the focusrite unit, and then record using free amp model plug ins.

I like Focusrite stuff a lot. I actually just bought a Saffire Pro 40 to replace my Saffire 6 USB.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.