Hi guys,

I have asked for advice on a new amp some time ago and from everything I tried I think I liked Orange Rocker 30 the most. I can only get a combo (no used heads in Poland that I can find) but I mean to run it through 2x12 cab. The only problem I see is lack of FX Loop...I use Mad Professor Deep Blue delay replica, EHX Holy Grail/Boss RV-3 reverb, expression pedal, some diy flanger, regular stuff. I want to use my effects on both natural and dirty channel. Could someone please recommend the best way to use my effects?

1. Run them in from of the amp - probably would color the tone too much, especially on dirty channel.
2. External FX Loops - I have no experience with those, are they any good?
3. Modding - I heard it's not recommended as it changes the tone. Also, two guys I called in Poland (Kraków) said they couldn't do it.
4. Recommended pedals (especially reverb) - maybe you know of some pedals that go exceptionally well with the Rocker?

Would really appreciate your help!
The Rocker 30, I think, is sort of a one trick, pony. I don't think you'll get any of the smooth distortion sounds you might want. It's got crunch for days, and not a whole lot else. For the price of a Rocker 30 Combo new, you could almost get a Mesa Roadster used that'd run circles around it for the genres you want.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thanks for the reply, but from what I see Mesa Roadster is waaay above my budget, I see one on a polish auction site and it's like 1700$ while I can get a Rocker for 800$. I wanted to buy a 2x12 for this Orange amp so in total my budget is 1200$ at most (and this is really pushing it).
The Rocker 30 is not a Metal amp at all, it is a classic rock amp. If you want Orange and are doing metal, the TH30 would be a better fit IMO. It even has a FX loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with Robb. The TH30 is a great amp. The cleans are very usable as well. They are not pristine cleans and who it starts to break up on the clean channel it is a beautiful thing. The dirty channel is probably what you are really looking for, and it satisfies my tastes rather well. Like Robb said it does have an fx loop which I use for delay and reverb. I have no complaints with the amp and I am past the honeymoon period.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Hmm, I thought it might do just fine, I am not really looking for a typical tight metal tone and I don't use a lot of gain, I would like the sound that bands like Cult of Luna have so less gain and more loose feeling to it. I agree that TH30 would do nicely though, I just couldn't find one used. They go for around 1100$ so no money left for a cab
Quote by svcv
Hmm, I thought it might do just fine, I am not really looking for a typical tight metal tone and I don't use a lot of gain, I would like the sound that bands like Cult of Luna have so less gain and more loose feeling to it. I agree that TH30 would do nicely though, I just couldn't find one used. They go for around 1100$ so no money left for a cab

I thought you wanted a combo, the TH30 comes in a 1x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Either combo or head would be fine but combo cost even more! (1250$). The Rocker combo looked like a good deal to me because I could afford an extension cab to it with remaining 400$ for more punch than I could get from a single speaker and I could also just use the combo speaker if I did not feel like lugging all my gear. Maybe I could shell out some extra $ to get a TH30 combo but the question is if having a fx loop and more modern sound (not even sure if I need modern voicing) is worth additional 450$ I will go to my local music store to see if I like TH30 though!
well you originally said metal and then you said Black crows. The Rocker 30 with a boost in the front would be plenty for that, just don't expect a real modern saturated sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah my bad, there is post rock/metal in the thread title while I actually meant post rock/post metal, thus Cult of Luna as a reference.
If you have tried the amp and you like it, I see no reason not to get it. They are very nice amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate