Hi All,

I have been playing for 5 days now. I have learned the C, D, G and Em tabs and been picking at Metallica's "Sanitarium" and "Where-ever I may roam" I am still far from perfect and slow at switching coords, however, I have been enjoying and my fingers have become tougher and no longer get sore from playing.

Now i am getting bit frustrated. I cannot play a single song without sounding like a hack and I am not sure what is the right way to continue. Should I be playing scales, should I focus on a single song, should I learn more coords or should I focus on faster switching between the coords I know already?

I am hoping to find a direction and find a milestone to measurable achievement on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. I am keen on the direction of rhythm guitar.

Thank you for advice
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Now i am getting bit frustrated. I cannot play a single song without sounding like a hack and I am not sure what is the right way to continue. Should I be playing scales, should I focus on a single song, should I learn more coords or should I focus on faster switching between the coords I know already?

Now, first off: you should be aware how much 5 days means for something like guitar playing. That's right, jack squat nothing. You have barely had the time to intellectually wrap your head around what you should do when it comes to the complete basics and have learned 4 chord shapes. BTW, it's not spelled COORDS but CHORDS.

The main thing here is that you must teach your fingers to work together, "like a team", so when you switch chords they come up and down all together, not one by one. That's a whole new skill and concept for your hands, and it takes time to learn. Your muscles can't grasp new motions as fast as the brain takes new knowledge; that's a fact. SO when you know what to do, you must keep doing it over and over a lot for the muscles to learn it too. You must understand that after 5 days, you shouldn't point out the main problem being "I can't play a single song without sounding like a hack", but it should go more like "I can't yet switch between 2 chords in 1 second". When you're able to make a chord switch within a second, try to make it within half a second next, and so on... When you'll be able to make a good chord transition, it'll also be easier to play a song, don't ya think? I also quite doubt your picking hand has reached some insane level of ability so fast either

About what you should practice, well, you should practice all of the things you mentioned above! Scales and chords are both among the foundations for all of music, so you should strive to know your way around both. Now, you don't need to practice all in a single day, but you can practice scales and chords one day, learn chords and a new part of the song a second day, etc. The C, D, G and Em chords are not enough for playing, so you definitely should learn more, two every week at least until you know the shapes for C, D, E, G and A major and for D, E, and A minor chords. The others (F, B major and C, F, G, B minor) are barre chords and will take some index finger training to properly do, so take your time with those).

The primary lesson everyone who picks the guitar up must learn is to be patient! I have been able to properly play my first song only after three weeks of practice, and even that was very short before I started messing notes up and getting tired. Now I like more complex songs, but if you went with a song that is strumming only, you could play it within two weeks probably. It took me two months before I had the stamina in my hands to play that song completely. Guitar isn't something you'll learn in two weeks, it's something people develop through a lifetime. Don't bother with setting milestones every week, but practice what you have learned and add things at your own pace. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing and set reasonable challenges for yourself, you'll progress.
Last edited by Navi_96 at Dec 29, 2013,